Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Mother tongue ESl classroom    

Mother tongue ESl classroom

D@N! P
Brazil

Mother tongue ESl classroom

mother tongue in ESL classroom

Hello, Dear Teachers.

So, once more I need your help. Especially Brazilian teachers.

I have to write a paper to my post-graduation course. I have to write an academic paper about the use of the mother tongue in ESL classroom and its advantages and disadvantages. I should mention in each situation the mother tongue can be used and in each it can, and I must give examples. Do you know any writing about it? Can you suggest me any author or book related to the topic? And also can you give me your opinion about it?

When do you think mother tongue should be used and should be avoid? Can you give examples? When mother tongue is necessary and /or helpful? Do you believe in a 100% English class? Do you believe mother tongue can be used as a tool or do you believe it should be avoid all the time? Why? Can you give me examples when you had to use the mother tongue to keep a class going?

Please, I need your opinion very hard.

Thanks In advance.

18 Sep 2011      

Mariethe House
France

here is something quite thorough:
http://www.teachenglishworldwide.com/Articles/Ferrer_mother%20tongue%20in%20the%20classroom.pdf

And this is a discussion on a forum of teachers discussing the topic:

http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/forum-topic/using-l1-esl-classroom

I googled: "the use of the mother tongue in ESL classes"and got quite a few intersting links. You should try that!

18 Sep 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

http://eca.state.gov/forum/vols/vol40/no1/p36.htm

http://www.fremdsprachendidaktik.rwth-aachen.de/Ww/programmatisches/pachl.html

18 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Danielle,

I am British/English and I teach in the United Kingdom, (where students are immersed in English every day of their lives). 

I teach Beginner �s English in an ESOL Department of a British College to foreign students, many of whom speak very little English.

Normally, I speak and teach in English, and my Worksheets are entirely in English. However, I can also speak and understand several other languages.

There are occasions when I speak in French, or Spanish, or Italian, or Dutch, or German, etc.

Why?

Many students are afraid, alone, and unhappy, because they are separated from things that they understand and love. They are in a strange new world, surrounded by a strange language and strange customs. They are in a different environment and it feels uncomfortable. They are tense.

When I speak to them in their Mother Tongue, it has several advantages.

1) They have found a �friend � who speaks their language.

2) They are reminded of �home � and all the good things that exist there.

3) They feel comfortable and relaxed.

4) They understand what I say.

5) They can ask questions about things which puzzle them in College

6) They can pose language queries to me.

7) They can explain their feelings to me.

8) They can try to explain an answer to a question in the Class.

9) They can ask for help.

10) They can save hours of valuable time, asking questions and speaking in their language, rather than in English.

11) They can understand, in seconds, a complicated grammatical term which I explain in their language.

12) They can make a valuable contribution to the class, instead of remaining silent.

When they know that they can speak to me in their own native language, and can also speak a little English, they now have TWO means of communication!

I would normally teach entirely in English, because this is good listening/reading practice for the students.

Imagine a teacher in Brazil who speaks ENGLISH but NO PORTUGUESE, and the students speak NO ENGLISH. How many months before the teacher can speak in English and be understood by everyone?

Now, imagine a teacher who speaks ENGLISH and speaks PORTUGUESE, but the students speak NO ENGLISH. Will the learning be faster, the same, or slower? What do you think?

My experience is that students adore an English teacher who can speak their language, even if it is only a few words. Their English improves rapidly.

What a huge advantage you have, in your class!

However, there are occasions when it is unwise to use a foreign language.

1) When the student is lazy and can �t be bothered to learn English.

2) When the student is using his/her own language and the teacher as a �crutch �, and is unwilling to �walk � unaided.

3) When the foreign language is used to the exclusion of the Target Language (English).

4) When the use of a foreign language causes jealousy, because the teacher can �t speak every language in the class. Some students feel excluded.

5) Except in very rare cases, I would not use the foreign language in written work. Parents, (and teacher-colleagues), may conclude that the teacher cannot explain the grammar point in English, or that the students are too weak to understand. Written work is permanent --- spoken work is not!

6) During an examination, and during an inspection by the Education Authority, (for the above reasons).

Provided the teacher makes it clear to the students that classes will normally be entirely in English, except for special reasons, there should not be a problem. The teacher should actively discourage the students from speaking in Portuguese, (in your case), by repeating the phrase in English, until the student co-operates, by speaking in English.

Teachers are encouraged to increase Student Talk Time, (STT), and decrease Teacher Talk Time, (TTT).  By speaking briefly in the language of the student, (rather than giving a long English explanation), the teacher achieves this aim dramatically.

As a final note, the explanation, (in Portuguese), should be as brief and as concise as possible, so that the difficulty/problem/question is resolved very quickly. The explanation can then be repeated in English, to provide the English vocabulary, and also to reinforce the point.

I hope that I have given you some material for your Assignment.

Anything that you don �t understand, please, just ask.

Les

19 Sep 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

When speaking L1 in the classroom - or letting students know you know their L1 - the following could (and probably will) happen:

1. Students lose the advantages of being �immersed �, i.e. studying in an English-only environment.
2. Students get lazy and don �t make an effort to express themselves in English - �the teacher understands us anyway �.
3. Students get a lot less listening practice in English. Instead of explaining something in clear and simple English, the teacher now translates everything.
4. Parents start complaining (in case of young learners) that they paid for lessons in English - not lessons in L1.
5. Inspectors give teachers bad reports because they violate the guidelines.
6. Students speak L1 in the classroom - possible leading to different language cliques when teaching different nationalities. Less likely to happen when the teacher has an English-only policy.
7. Students will not start thinking in English, but keep translating.
8. Students won �t be very creative to express themselves using miming, drawing, asking help from a classmate, looking up a word in a dictionary etc.
9. Lessons become L1 grammar-focused, instead of using the intuitive, indirect approach (letting students find out themselves).
10. Teachers start showing off their foreign language skills and the classroom becomes their free practice ground.

As you can see, using L1 can be a major disadvantage.

I could go but I �ll stop here. Good teachers don �t need to use L1. I do admit that in certain cases (very young learners) it can be easy if you understand their L1. Speak it very sparingly though is my advice and only when all else fails.

I �ve taught English in China and Thailand without speaking either lingo (I do understand quite a bit of Thai though). Never did I have major problems or complaints - on the contrary. Students and parents don �t want the foreign English teacher to speak L1 in the classroom.

Finally, there is no black white in the teaching world - only shades of grey. I did feel, however, that Les �s thorough post needed a reply to highlight the other side of the coin.

Answers to Les�s questions:

�Imagine a teacher in Brazil who speaks ENGLISH but NO PORTUGUESE, and the students speak NO ENGLISH. How many months before the teacher can speak in English and be understood by everyone?�

If the teacher uses appropriate language and vocabulary, comprehension should not be impaired because the teacher doesn�t speak L1. The teacher just needs to be creative and well-prepared. Review is vital as well as flashcards. Students should understand target language immediately.

�Now, imagine a teacher who speaks ENGLISH and speaks PORTUGUESE, but the students speak NO ENGLISH. Will the learning be faster, the same, or slower? What do you think?�

I think the learning will be slower than with the English-only approach because some valuable classroom time is wasted by translating and students won�t be forced into using English straightaway. They�ll rely on the L1 safety net.

19 Sep 2011     

elsnert
Russian Federation

I teach English in Russia and I �m abso;utely sure that I can speak Russian only with younger students and only during some first classes and only for explaining them a situation in which they have to communicate using English language. No translation. When they are ready to communicate I try avoiding Mother tongue. Since that time we do not use it and they really understand without translation. Thay start thinking in English and that �s the aim I expect.

19 Sep 2011     

Zora
Canada

I have to agree with Les since the experience I �ve had using L1 is more or less how he described it. I also have found that students who are shy respond 100% times better. I have had parents tell me that they are surprised that their son/daughter, who is really shy, likes my classes. And all it really is is that I have made it known I speak their language and understand what they are trying to say. It seems to help bring them out of their shell and they are more responsive...

Knowing L1 goes a long way when teaching a foreign language. Or that has been my experience.

19 Sep 2011     

douglas
United States

I have to agree with Les and Linda on this one

19 Sep 2011