Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching tips    

Teaching tips

ionelia
Mexico

Teaching tips

Dear friends

Please I need some tips or ideas on how I can help some students in fifth and sixth grade to speak more English. They are very timid and afraid to be wrong.

thank you very much

22 Sep 2011      

MoodyMoody
United States

I teach adults, so I don �t know how it would work for "tweens," but I tell my students that I WANT them to make mistakes, both in speaking and in writing. I just tell them I want different mistakes, and not the same mistake over and over. I don �t count mistakes that are a result of a student trying to extend his or her use of the language. For example, at my level, I don �t teach any of the perfect tenses. I will correct, but not count, mistakes in the use of the present perfect. In fact, if I actually gave grades, I �d give extra points for trying something above level, even if the student got it wrong. 

Learning a language is a very complex skill and needs lots and lots of practice (mistakes) before it is truly learned.

Also, do you know why they are afraid to make mistakes? Are they afraid of looking stupid in front of the other students? Are they afraid that mistakes will show up on their grades? Are they afraid that their pronunciation is bad? The answers to those questions will give you some more ideas of what you can do.

23 Sep 2011     

ionelia
Mexico

Thank you very much! Very useful!

23 Sep 2011     

Mulle
Denmark

I use the speaking activity Knee-to-Knee with my beginners and intermediate students.

You can find two examples here:

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=523367#thetop

Mulle

23 Sep 2011     

psd4fan
China

Simple tongue twisters untie the knickers of students of all ages. Make sure you demonstrate first and mess up to show them it �s not only ok to mess up but also fun.

23 Sep 2011     

BlancaNC
United States

I am about to post an exercise for sentence-building that can be quite funny, especially for this age group which is so creative.  Please look for it this weekend. 

23 Sep 2011     

Pauline Burke MSc
Spain

I brought a load of empty packets into school and set up 3 shops. Then I handed it over to the students who became shop assistants and customers. At first they were very shy but it created the need to speak and they did (laughed a lot too).

23 Sep 2011     

ionelia
Mexico

Thank you all  for the good ideas!
Hugs!

23 Sep 2011