Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Mistakes in composition    

Mistakes in composition

Alyona C.
Ukraine

Mistakes in composition

Hi
Yesterday my students wrote a composition about their friends. There were a lot of mistakes and it �s difficult for me to correct some of them. Could you help me?
1. I think what we alike a temper almost.
2. In speaking he is always pleasant.
3. I hope you liked my letter (maybe-I hope you will like my letter)
Thanks in advance.

23 Sep 2011      

mississauga
Canada

Hi,

These are my corrections:

1. I think we are almost alike in temperament.
2. He is always a pleasant speaker.
3. I hope you will like my letter.

Take care.

Mac

23 Sep 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi alyona , why don �t you just underline the wrong sentence and give them the chance to correct it ? See what they can do ... Or peer correction maybe ? Just a thought !

23 Sep 2011     

MoodyMoody
United States

Number 3 isn �t a mistake if the student is referring to a letter sent in the past. If the time is near future, present, or near past (you are about to read it, you are reading the letter now, or you just read it), your student can say, "I hope you like my letter." For the more distant future, I agree with mississauga/Mac.

As an alternative to number 2, your student could also say, "He is always pleasant in his speech." There �s nothing wrong with Mac �s version, though. I can �t improve on number 1.

23 Sep 2011     

Nebal
Lebanon

1- I think we are almost alike in temperament.(Just as Mac corrected.)
2- He is always a pleasant speaker. ( As Mac put it.)
3- I hope you like(will like)  my letter.(  for it seems he is closing his letter.)

24 Sep 2011