Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Highly paid teachers, they ´ve never had it so good!!!    

Highly paid teachers, they ´ve never had it so good!!!

franknbea
United Kingdom

Highly paid teachers, they ´ve never had it so good!!!

Are you sick of highly paid teachers? Teachers ´ hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or10 months a year! It ´s time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit! We can get that for less than minimum wage. That ´s right. Let ´s give them £5.93 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be 

£ 41.51 a day (8.30 am to 3:30 PM with 60 min. off for lunch and plan-- that equals 7 1/2 hours). Each parent should pay £ 41.51 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 90? So that ´s £ 41.51 x 90 = £ 3735.90 a day. However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any holidays . LET ´S SEE.... That ´s

£ 3735.90 X 180= £ 672462.00 per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries). What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master ´s degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage (£ 6.90), and just to be fair, round it off to £ 7.00 an hour. That would be £ 7.00 X 71/2 hours X 90 children X 180 days = £ 850500.00 per year. Wait a minute -- there ´s something wrong here! There sure is! The average teacher ´s salary (nation wide) is £ 25000.00/180 days = £ 138.90 per day/ 90 students = £ 1.54 / 7 1/2 hours = £ 0.20 per hour per student--a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!) WHAT A DEAL!!!! Make a teacher smile (or cry!); this is what you are missingAngry

24 Sep 2011      

MarionG
Netherlands

Frank, the idea is great but critics will soon take down your math by claiming -rightly so- that we as esl teachers don ´t actually teach 90 students for 7.5 hours a day and thereby they will brush off the whole message you ´re trying to convey.

I calculated just my hours in front of a class, with the real amount of students in my class.
Even though I hold a master ´s degree, I decided to go for 5 pounds an hour to keep it all clear and easy.. Here it goes..

I’ve got 16 kids who study 3 hours a week. That would, at 5 pounds an hour,

add up to 16x3x5+ 240 pounds a week.

I’ve got another 30 kids who study 4 hours a week. That would be, again at 5 pounds an hour, 30x4x5= 600 pounds a week.

Multiply that by 4 (even though most weeks have a bit more than four weeks)

and you get (240+600)x4= 3360 pounds a month.

Wow, with the current shekel to pound rate that is 6 times as much as I make!!!!

(and that salary even includes the private tutoring and the paid meetings time)

I should find out what the going rate for babysitting is is this country and re-do it in local currency.......probably a little less painful but still would show we make less, far less, than a babysitter!

24 Sep 2011     

treasure0911
France

Thank you for this message that even though could make us feel desperate made me laugh!

Seeing the smile of one of our students, this is the best wage. Not to talk about all the thankful parents!

I even wonder if we should get paid for what we do! This is not real work, is it?!

Have a great weekend, with no work (of course!)

24 Sep 2011     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Wow, I took an example from Marion and started to count.

Weekly I teach:
3rd Grade   17 sts x 3 hours x 5 pounds = 255 pounds a week
4th Grade   11 sts x 4 hours x 5 pounds = 220 pounds a week
6th Grade   44 sts x 3 hours x 5 pounds = 660 pounds a week
8th Grade   24 sts x 3 hours x 5 pounds = 360 pounds a week
9th Grade   32 sts x 3 hours x 5 pounds = 480 pounds a week

This means I ´d gain 1.945 pounds a week, 7. 780 a month Shocked

Mind you, in my country 1 pound equals 30 Czech crowns, my average wage is about 16.000 Czech crowns which equals 533 pounds a month. Honestly, when I used to work as a nanny in England, I earned about 800 pounds a month.

Well, the thing is I love my job even thought my flat would need a reconstruction, my daughter needs a new bed.... I think I ´ll move back to England and start babysitting again.Wink

24 Sep 2011