Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Metalanguage    

Metalanguage

jimbowylie
United Kingdom

Metalanguage

Hi everybody. This is a request for help. I �m currently studying for an online MA in TESOL and Applied Linguistics, and am doing my dissertation on the question of metalanguage and, more generally, metalinguistic knowledge. That is, essentially, for students whether knowing �labels � assists in increasing proficiency, and for teachers, how their enthusiasm for metalanguage matches up with their level of metalinguistic knowledge. It would also be interesting to see how different groups of teachers (e.g. inexperienced v experienced, native v non-native etc.) compare in these measures. Unfortunately, at the moment, I am not in work, so do not have any direct contact with teachers and students for research purposes. So I have had to publish my surveys online:

Teacher survey

Student survey

If any of you teachers had 20 minutes or so to complete the Teacher survey, then that would be great. If you could pass that link on to some colleagues, even better. And if you could pass the student link on to some (adult) students to complete, then that would be absolutely wonderful. You could set it as a brief grammar homework, for example. There is, excitingly enough, a mystery prize draw for all contributors who complete and return either of the surveys.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give - it really is much appreciated!!!

25 Sep 2011      

sirhaj
Malaysia

I couldn �t get through, it says that the comment is invalid. I tried to modify my comment in the box at the bottom of the first page but it still remained the same. I don �t know what went wrong. I �m sorry.

Sirhajwan

25 Sep 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Most interesting my dear old Jimbo! Filled it in already and the Mrs. will be passing it on to her colleagues ma�ana. Oh, and welcome to the site!

25 Sep 2011     

jimbowylie
United Kingdom

Ahoy there, sir, and thanks for the welcome.

25 Sep 2011     

jimbowylie
United Kingdom

Hi Sirhaj

Which comment are you talking about?

The links themselves work fine for me.

25 Sep 2011     

julianach22
Argentina

hi! I �ve taken the survey. Most interesting! Hope it �s helpful

25 Sep 2011     

jimbowylie
United Kingdom

Thanks Julia and the others who have done it. Keep �em coming!

25 Sep 2011     

jimbowylie
United Kingdom

I �ve got a couple more, thanks. I really appreciate people taking the time to reply to the survey, but if you do kindly have 20 minutes or so to respond, please please complete all five pages. Remember, you can put a dash if there are questions you don �t know. Don �t be put off if you are not a grammar expert!

I �ve had several where the respondent has only completed the first page, which is a bit pointles, or only the first page or two.

Thanks and keep them coming (completed!)!

25 Sep 2011