Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ñ    

Ñ

Noemi2
Spain

Ñ

The other day students were practising spelling full names and they asked me a question: how do you say "ñ" in English when you spell? It is not a letter in the English alphabet, but it exists in the Spanish one.

Thank you in advance.

25 Sep 2011      

MoodyMoody
United States

You are right, ñ isn ´t a letter in English. Even in Spanish names, we just usually use n. They won ´t like it, but we English speakers are too lazy most of the time to use any diacritic marks, including accents. We write, for example, Maria, not María. We can ´t do it on an English keyboard with one stroke. To make the ñ, I had to strike Alt 0241 (the 0241 from the numeric keypad, not the top line of the regular keyboard). What do you on a laptop with no keypad when you aren ´t in MS Word? Much too much trouble for most Americans, anyway.

25 Sep 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

I usually say ´n-tilde´ or ´n with a tilde´, although here in Spain I tend to say something along the lines of ´enya´.

@Moody: I have a MacBook, and on the British keyboard, it´s just a matter of alt + n + n.  ñ - just like that.

25 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Similar to Almaz, I say "Enn-yay", or "N with a tilde".

Here in the UK, all of my colleagues who are Language Teachers write using appropriate foreign accents. 

This site may help you to form the accents, using 2 computer-strokes, without much trouble.

Les

25 Sep 2011