Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > What does "closet psycho" mean?    

What does "closet psycho" mean?

carinita
Argentina

What does "closet psycho" mean?

I found that expression while reading an article about DATING:
Want more Dream Dates than Dating Disasters? Top Ten Dating Do �s and Don �ts

So that you don �t  have to read the whole article I extracted a paragraph:

1. Dont make snap judgments about your date. Unless hes a complete snooze or a closet psycho, give him a fair shot before writing him off. You may come to regret the hasty rejection of a potential love of a lifetime.

27 Sep 2011      

Zora
Canada

In my opinion, I �d say that they mean that this person is psycho but tries to hide it. Hence the "closet" reference. If you are in the closet, you are often in denial of something.

27 Sep 2011     

douglas
United States

A "closet" anything is somebody that tries to keep that fact about them hidden from the public.

A closet psycho would be someone that is psycho (psychotic, crazy), but keeps it pretty well hidden.

When dating, an example of a  closet psycho would be someone that appears to be a "dream" partner, they meet all of your expectations and you can see yourself falling in love wth them and then  one date they suddenly ask you if they can tie you up and make you watch as they walk around their apartment wearing a rubber duck suit and flapping their "wings" and quacking.  Shocked

In the context written, a closet psycho would be someone that you notice to be crazy/psychotic/extremely weird.

Douglas

27 Sep 2011     

carinita
Argentina

Ah! Yes! There �s an idiomatic expression "skeletons in the closet" I wasn �t sure whether it was linked to the idea of privacy so I posted the question
Funny example, Douglas! I understood perfectly LOL

27 Sep 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Could it refer to people who have some weird altars in their closets?
Sophia 

27 Sep 2011     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Douglas has it right.

Bruce

27 Sep 2011     

carinita
Argentina

What kind of altars, Sophia?

27 Sep 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

@carinita...it has nothing to do with altars. Douglas is right. Ed

27 Sep 2011     

carinita
Argentina

It �s ok edrod. I �m just asking because I �m curious.

27 Sep 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I was just speculating, you know. In movies they sometimes have such a psycho character, who has a secret altar in a closet, sort of like a fetish with somebody �s photos or doll heads and stuff like that.
I do realize this is not the common meaning for the phrase, but could it also be used in the case I �ve mentioned?
Sophia

28 Sep 2011     

Sainte-Marie
United States

Oh, my, so funny, Douglas! Quite entertaining! And I think, when a person is so much serious and always quiet, grumpy and doesn �t talk it �s also kinda "a closet psycho" -- Beware of a silent dog and still water. Why to bottle up your feelings LOL, thoughts, emotions...

28 Sep 2011     

1    2    Next >