Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day for Wednesday/Thursday October 5/6, 2011    

Word of the Day for Wednesday/Thursday October 5/6, 2011

douglas
United States

Word of the Day for Wednesday/Thursday October 5/6, 2011

It looks like the WOD stalled-out, so here �s a new word of the day:

"hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle"

Katy Perry "diddled her fiddle" according to a twitter message she sent.

Dave Barry "diddles" with his computer

Mr Oranges � partner in Tarantino �s Resevoir Dogs  bets a "diddle-eyed Joe"  

So what the heck does diddle mean?

The word of the day is:

diddle

Looking forward to your daffy definitions,

Douglas

5 Oct 2011      

maryse pey�
France

"Delicate Indiscretion Done Down Longly and Evidently" : here is the exact and complete nickname given to talkative and indiscret people always listening to others � private conversations...

Don �t say that to them they would offendedly answer you that you are a liar. Especially the papparazzi !!!

5 Oct 2011     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

DIDDLE

Meaning: when musicians play with their guitar strings, diddling the guitar to find the right tune!

5 Oct 2011     

Mietz
Germany

It �s a very famous mouse. Check this. Smile

5 Oct 2011     

MoodyMoody
United States

Douglas, I can �t compete with the real meaning of diddle. I �m surprised that you chose this word for a word of the day, LOL. I won �t spoil it further for others, but they �ll have to go a ways to top the true definition of the word. "Diddled her fiddle" indeed! In mixed company!

5 Oct 2011     

gloriawpai
Brazil

Douglas, I �m quite sure that diddle was just invented to rhyme with beatle, beetle, fiddle, needle, etc

6 Oct 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Moody Moody - sure, the word has a slang definition (that I wasn�t even aware of until now and it seems to be a US term) however it�s use in everyday speech for all ages far surmounts US slang usage.  Just a simple Google will demonstrate its use in songs (including Abba), movies (Gone with the wind, Batman) nursery rhymes, children�s cartoon characters and everyday transactions.  So there is nothing wrong with Douglas�s choice. 

As teachers we all know that many English words have inappropriate slang definitions but do we avoid all definitions of a word because of just one vulgar slang definition?

My definition: it really means to doodle - Hey doodle doodle, the cat and the poodle ..

Dave Barry "doodles" with his computer

Mr Oranges � partner in Tarantino �s Resevoir Dogs  bets a "doodle-eyed Joe"

Cheers

Jayho

6 Oct 2011     

Zora
Canada

I think Douglas and Ed should be in charge of a new word game "Sounds Dirty But It Isn �t". LOL

6 Oct 2011     

MoodyMoody
United States

Jayho, I am aware of the clean definitions of diddle as well as the dirty one, and gloriawpai, it is a real word with real meanings. I tried to express fake indignation with LOL, but obviously it didn �t work. I was just commenting that one of the real definitions was outrageous enough that I couldn �t top it with a fake definition. It �s the downside of actually knowing what the word means.

7 Oct 2011     

Jayho
Australia

... well, couldn�t you try?  Can�t you think of a fun definition better than the vulgar one?  That�s what this is about.  Fun, fun, fun.  Implying that a word shouldn�t have been chosen takes away the spirit of the game.  Especially when it is a word used innocently by children world wide and whose vulgar definition seems to be limited to the US. Why did you choose to focus on the vulgar meaning saying that that meaning is the true definition and that you can�t do better?  I just don�t get it MM.

7 Oct 2011