Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Must or Have to    

Must or Have to

Alyona C.
Ukraine

Must or Have to

Hi
Help me to choose the correct word, please.
1) The doctor says we must/have to take vitamins because we worrk a lot.
2) My father tells me that I must/have to walk the dog in the evening.
I think it �s have to. Am I right?
Thanks in advance.

6 Oct 2011      

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

Hi! sentence 1 is an external obligation comes from outside means that it is a necessity that should be taken into account by every one and not an order just to obey or please the doctor. So,we use have to. But in sentence 2 there �s an inter-subject relationship  a rule or order given by my father to me and expected to be obeyed just to please my father, it means that it �s an obligation related to the person himself. So, we use must
I hope it �s clear Smile

6 Oct 2011     

MoodyMoody
United States

As an American English speaker, I tend to use must and have to interchangeably. For me, must is a little stronger. But I would use either one in either of your examples.

7 Oct 2011     

Apodo
Australia

I agree with MoodyMoody.
I use them somewhat interchangeably too, but I prefer �have to � for your sentences. It often depends on the context.

I must phone my mother. / I have to phone my mother.
I must buy some milk on the way home./ I have to buy some milk on the way home.
I might be a bit late, I have to buy some milk on the way home. (I wouldn �t use must here)

You must wash your hands before eating. (Formal rule)
You have to wash your hands before you eat. (What a mother might say to a child)

7 Oct 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

I must lose weight. (just determination)
I have to lose weight. (a strong obligation) If I don �t lose weight, they won �t accept me to the Royal Ballet Academy.
You must finish your homework. (strong advice)
You have to finish your homewok. If you don �t, you won �t pass the test tomorrow. (some external circumstances might be involved)
You must rustproof your car annually ( suggestion)
You have to rustproof your car annually. If you don �t, you �ll lose your warranty. (obligation)
For the the sentence # 1 I �d take �have to�. You must take the vitamins. General advice. You have to take the vitamins, because you work a lot. If you don �t, your health might get worse.
For the the sentence # 2 depends on the contest, if the dog hasn �t been taken for a walk during the day, then "have to", if it �s advice, then "must".

7 Oct 2011     

caribaldi
Morocco

as a english learner and according to what I have studied in grammar books ,I find NAZAR �s explanation the best

8 Oct 2011