Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Could anybody help me again?    

Could anybody help me again?

jocel
Philippines

Could anybody help me again?

Dear Colleagues,

I encounter this sentence and I wonder why the -ing is placed here. Also I want to know how it funtions. The sentence goes this way:

Art was trying to fix his car because it got broken. He is fixing it himself because because he can �t afford paying for a mechanic.

I think the sentence is grammatically incorrect  and wonder why -ing verb is used here. Isn´t it supposed to use ´to-infinitive´?  Could anybody help me please...?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

jocel Hug

13 Oct 2011      

Redbull
Thailand

Art is going to fix his car because it �s broken down. He is fixing the car himself because he can �t afford to pay for a mechanic.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

13 Oct 2011     

mr515
Indonesia

...Well...guess it �s a gerund...  when you put two verbs in a sentence,  it goes that the second verb must be "pushed"  becoming  a Noun... by adding an- Ing at the end of it, and also, because the action is now, it �s better to put Pay + ing than to + Pay...Tongue

13 Oct 2011     

cagreis
Portugal

I think this helps

When to use the infinitive

The infinitive form is used after certain verbs:
- forget, help, learn, teach, train
- choose, expect, hope, need, offer, want, would like
- agree, encourage, pretend, promise
- allow, can/can �t afford, decide, manage, mean, refuse

• I forgot to close the window.
  • Mary needs to leave early.
  • Why are they encouraged to learn English?
  • We can �t afford to take a long holiday.

13 Oct 2011     

jeanet barriga
Chile

I agree it�s a gerund phrase, anyways don�t try to analize or translate sentences in order to make a sense in spanish, sometimes you just have to learn the usage not the meaning

13 Oct 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi

It �s a gerund used as a noun, just like the following examples:

I love swimming
I hate reading.
Listening to music is rather relaxing.
I can �t stand working all these hours.
I can �t afford studying at the university.

my opinion, as a native of Portuguese language ( ! )Big smile

Linda

13 Oct 2011     

chalii
Pakistan

another reason of adding -ing form is, there are certain verbs when they come immediately after a first verb they  take -ing form.
some of them are

enjoy, keep, delay,accept, appreciate, admire etc

13 Oct 2011     

MoodyMoody
United States

There are a few problems with the sentences. One is that the tense changes. The first sentence uses the past progressive/continuous followed by a simple past. By itself, there �s nothing wrong with the first sentence. However, in the second sentence, the tense changes to present progressive/continuous. Choose one tense and stick to it. The timing doesn �t change. There �s nothing wrong with using -ing in either sentence as long as you �re consistent with past/present.

And Redbull �s correction of the gerund is exactly right for the reason that cagreis mentioned: if you follow afford with another verb, it must be the infinitive rather than a gerund. If afford is followed by a noun, to is not required. It �s just one of the quirks of English.

13 Oct 2011     

jocel
Philippines

Thanks a lot dear colleagues!

I also checked other reliable sites, I found  out that there are some verb needed to use a gerund. However, I appreciate your effort so much!   Hug

Redbull - you �re right, redbull gives me wings LOL

mr515 and jeanet barriga - thanks for the thought provoking information Big smile

cagreis and chalii - the list of verbs are very helpful Clap

Olindalima ( F ) - thanks for sharing some grammar rules in Portuguese Wink

MoodyMoody - you explained it very well. Now I �m 100% clear Thumbs Up

14 Oct 2011