Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > language gifted children    

language gifted children

hania_arshes
Poland

language gifted children

Hi,

I need your help. The headmaster of the kindergarten I teach in asked me to check if one of my students (a 4-year-old girl) is language gifted. The reason they believe it is the fact that she can recite English alphabet, but she has problems learning her mother tongue alphabet. As for me, I had only few classes with her (and 25 other children) and I didn�t notice anything special. In fact, she�s very quiet, and although she seems quite interested in my lessons she stays in the back, and doesn�t repeat after me. I don�t know yet if she remembers what I teach.

So, can you give me an advice? I know that there are tests, but this girl is very young - she can �t write or read - so tests that I know of won�t work with her. What else can I do? Do you have any ideas? I�d be glad for any help.

Thanks in advance! And have a wonderful teachers� day!! :)

14 Oct 2011      

cheezels
New Zealand

Reciting something is not the same as knowing something. Maybe someone at home has done the Alphabet song with her over and over and over again until she can recite it by heart.
Now if she can say what the letters are out of order if you hold up a flashcard, that �s another thing entirely.
Has she any other English skills besides being able to recite the alphabet?

14 Oct 2011     

hania_arshes
Poland

I really don �t know. I just started classes with her group and it �s too early for me to say anything about the children. It �s the headmaster who believes she might be gifted.

I �m going to talk to her on Tuesday, so I �ll check if she knows the letters out of order (btw, it �s a great idea - thanks!). I �ll also check if she remembers what I �ve been doing with her group so far, but I don �t know if there �s anything else I can do...?

14 Oct 2011     

maryse pey�
France

You can show her flashcards saying aloud the words, make her repeat them. Then show her the cards in a different order and ask her to say what it is.

14 Oct 2011     

hania_arshes
Poland

Well, that �s part of what I do during our everyday lessons, and most of the kids manage without problems, so it wouldn �t tell me that she �s special.

But, trully, I believe all kids are gifted in that sense. It �s only that they need to have fun while learning, if they do there �s nothing too difficult for them. Only the kids that are present at the lesson but don �t participate don �t learn - and there are exceptions to that rule.

It �s a pity the headmaster won �t take that for the answer. ;)

14 Oct 2011