Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching Mothers    

Teaching Mothers

fletsch
Canada

Teaching Mothers

Hi everyone:

I need some advice or suggestions.  I am going to be teaching the mothers of my younger students on Sundays. The first class is a demo.  There are 12 of them and I have been told that their English is basic.  I am trying to figure out what I should do for the first class.  The first demo class is one hour long and needs to be interesting so that the mothers will sign up for the course.  Does anyone have some ideas to help me out? 

Thanks everyone and have a great weekend,

Fletsch

15 Oct 2011      

MapleLeaf
Canada

Hi, Fletsch

I remember the first day activity in the classroom was  find somebody who likes... and that was done in a special way that all the �likes � of the students have been known by the teacher beforehand. You can find out about them (likes) when a student registers for a class and might be asked to write some inf about herself. No too much complicated, just a list of interesting catching  �moments � and a student got to find by asking questions and go around the classroom and find the right person who, for example,  can give a guided tour around the city she �s from or who can play an accordion and etc. Try to find something unique about their likes, not just general inf. like dancing, swimming etc. That will bring much more excitement into the classroom. 

15 Oct 2011     

tareq
Egypt

Hi,

I advise you to make a table with all the mothers � names on the left and ten columns on the right. ask each person to write his hobby, favourite book and so on, Let them finish their names first and change their place asking others for the same information to fill in the table about the other individuals in the class. This is interesting. When they finish all the information required in the paper start mking it speaking and ask each one to give you information about the others.

26 Oct 2011