Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOW---Word of the weekend    

WOW---Word of the weekend

edrodmedina
United States

WOW---Word of the weekend

Hello friends and friendlettes!!! I had been running a dry spell for a while. Thank you Mar for choosing me as the winner of the WOD. The word for this weekend is one I just like the sound of. It �s not a particularly obscure word by any means but has character. The word is CANTANKEROUS. Let �s have some fun with this word. Remember no dictionary meanings. Ed

15 Oct 2011      

libertybelle
United States

Cantankerous is a slogan for a very special American gas station from the 1930 �s.
When people ran out of gas and forgot their gas cans at home in the garage they hoped that they could borrow a can from a nearby gas station.
Now some gas station attendants would be mean and say - can �t help you if you don �t have your can with you Unhappy- but this special gas station always had extra cans on hand.
therefore their slogan was:

Can tanks are us!

15 Oct 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Cantankerous...

Well, you all know that TV game have widely spread all over the words. What you maybe know less is that there is a city in Tanganika named Tankerville where a great number of candidates live. They are particularly ferocious when they lose.

So to design them the other candidates do not say : "be careful there are candidates from Tankerville and they are dangerous" they nickname them "Cantankerous".

That �s why you will never see me in a TV game...

15 Oct 2011     

douglas
United States

What the sailor said to the crabby old Captain that had got the port authority mad at him: "Cantankerous Captain, Port Authority�s pissed." (can �t anchor us)

15 Oct 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Cantankerous

It is not a coincidence that Ed, (Edrodmedina), has chosen for POD, (Phrase of the Day), WOD, (Word of the Day), WOW, (Word of the Week), and WOMB, (Word of the Month when Babies are Born), the word �Cantankerous�.

This word is his very opposite.

To put it more simply, �This word is the consummate contrariety of his idiosyncratic Weltanschauung, vis-�-vis Homo Sapiens�, (to quote the well-known Swahili proverb).

This proverb appears in: �A Futile Argument�, by the Spanish linguist Xavier Breth.  The companion volume is the word-book: �Cambridge Oxford Dictionary, Special Words Assisting Language Learning, Operating Procedure�, by the same author, with photographs by the talented Scandinavian photographer, Matt Finnish.  Lovers of this excellent dictionary, (or �CODSWALLOP� as others rudely call it), are never without a story which demonstrates the power of human observation.

Because of British economic difficulties, 2 young men were engaged to work, cleaning up the cemetery, where local people were buried after death.  One young man discovered his grandfather�s grave, which was very untidy.  He cut the grass and put fresh flowers in the vase.

The gravestone, with the name and the date of death, was falling forward, so the young man straightened it, but it fell forward again.  He got a length of wire, wrapped it around the stone, and tied it to a telegraph pole, to keep it vertical.  Beautiful!

That evening was pay-night, so the two went out and had a couple of drinks.  On the way home, they passed the cemetery, and stopped to admire their work.  The friend looked at the grandfather�s beautiful grave, with the stone held upright by the wire tied to the telegraph pole.

�I see that your grandfather has had the telephone put in!�

The origins of the word �Cantankerous� are not a mystery.  They are simplicity itself.

Can�t Anka Rouse!� was the publicity slogan written for the singer, Paul Anka.  Born in Canada, he �wowed� teenage audiences with his singing.  He wrote numerous famous songs, including the English words for the French song, �Comme d�habitude�.   Frank Sinatra made it world-famous as: �My Way!�

(Incidentally, have you noticed how every performer who sings: �I Did it My Way�, performs it exactly the SAME WAY as everybody else?)

Many ESLP readers have suggested that �Can�t� refers to Immanuel Kant, the German Philosopher, who founded the School of Negative Thinking.  Others contend that the originator was Genghis Khan, the Mongol Philosopher, who founded the School of Positive Thinking.

However, whenever I am in difficulties, I turn to one of the most famous of English families, the Homes Family.

Yes!  You can find a Member in every English City, Town and Village --- Wimpey Homes; Barratt Homes; Persimmon Homes --- their signs are everywhere.

But the most famous of all, is Sherlock Holmes, the Detective!  In fact, he was so famous that, for copyright reasons, he changed his surname, and added an �L�, HoLmes.  But this was not unusual --- in the past, many people changed their homes as soon as they had the money!

I am proud to say that, like me, Sherlock Holmes is, or was, a Magician.

Sherlock Holmes stood before his colleague, Doctor Watson.  In his left hand he held a glass lemonade bottle, which had a narrow neck.  In his right hand, he held a large lemon.

He handed the two objects to Doctor Watson, who examined them minutely, for 60 seconds, but could find nothing unusual.

On receiving them back from the Doctor, Sherlock Holmes put the lemon and the bottle together, and blew on them with his lips.

In an instant, the large lemon was inside the glass bottle, trapped.

Doctor Watson�s eyes gaped wide in astonishment.

�Holmes!  That was amazing!  How did you do it?�

�Lemon Entry, my Dear Watson!  Lemon Entry!�

Les

15 Oct 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Les, I �m sure the editors would fight to have your book if ever you decided to write one !!!!

15 Oct 2011     

Mariethe House
France

I am sorry Les, but I don �t understand the last pun (lemon entry)Unhappy Will you , please explain to meSmile?

16 Oct 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Mariethe,

Doctor Watson frequently expresses astonishment at Sherlock Holmes� ability to do amazing things.  When the Doctor asks the Detective: "How did you do it?", Holmes always gives the same nonchalant reply.  This phrase has entered the English language.

"Elementary, my dear Watson!  Elementary!"

Les

16 Oct 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Oh Les! I am stupid! LOL Very clever!!

16 Oct 2011