Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > fruit???    

fruit???

Evilmenina9
Peru

fruit???

knowing the fruit is an uncountable noun, what is the correct snetence:

My favorite fruit is apples and bananas.
My favorite fruit are apples and bananas.
My mom buys fruit everyday, I like eating it or them.

16 Oct 2011      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

My favourite fruits are apples and bananas. (different kinds are mentioned hence the fruits)
My mom buys fruit everyday, I like eating them.

Sophia

16 Oct 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Evilmenina9,

(British English)

�My favourite fruits are apples and pears�.

�My Mum buys fruit every day.  I like eating it�.

Here is an answer that I gave to a similar previous question from a Member.

ï¿½İs �fruit� an uncountable or a countable noun?�  It is BOTH, because we have �fruit� and �fruits�.  However, it is usually uncountable, as a mass noun, �fruit�.

�Can we use �fruits� for �kinds of fruits� or not?�  YES, we can.

When we use the word �fruit�, we are thinking about all fruits, with every kind, species, or type mixed together.  We see them as masses, without clear boundaries.  We do not see them as separate objects.

When we use the word �fruits�, we are thinking about each individual kind, species, or type of fruit, separately.  We see them as individual objects or groups.  There are clear boundaries between one kind and another.  We see them as separate objects.

Oxford Dictionary of English: FRUIT noun � the sweet and fleshy product of a tree or other plant that contains seed and can be eaten as food: tropical fruits such as mangoes and papaya | [mass noun] eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables.

Botany � the seed-bearing structure of a plant, e.g. an acorn| archaic or literary � natural produce that can be used for food: we give thanks for the fruits of the earth.

�(the fruits or the fruit) the result or reward of work or activity: the pupils began to appreciate the fruits of their labours.

�PHRASES: bear fruit have good results; his government�s monetarism was beginning to bear fruit.  in fruit (of a tree or plant); at the stage of producing fruit.

The following are some examples, written by Les Douglas.

Uncountable:

1)          In his shop, my father sells fruit and vegetables.  (Many types of fruit).

2)          Fruit is good for you.  (All kinds of fruit; fruit in general).

3)          �I always eat some fruit for my breakfast�.  (The type of fruit is not specified).  

4)          In the garden, the fruit needs more work than the flowers.  (Mass).

5)          In cooking, fruit is used for puddings and pies.  (All different kinds of fruit).

Countable:

1)          In his shop, I can see 3 fruits and many different vegetables.  (Plums, pears, and figs).

2)          Many fruits, such as oranges, contain Vitamin C.  (A particular type of fruit).

3)          Specific fruits have specific chemical qualities.  (Individual, specific fruits).

4)          In the garden, the different fruits are eaten by different species of flies.  (Individual).

5)          In cookery, fruits are used less than cereals.  (Individual types of fruit).

The words �food� and �foods� are similar to �fruit� and �fruits�.

ï¿½İs �food� an uncountable or a countable noun?�  It is BOTH, because we have �food� and �foods�.  However, it is usually uncountable, as a mass noun, �food�.

�Can we use �foods� for �kinds of foods� or not?�  YES, we can.

When we use the word �food�, we are thinking about all foods, with every kind, species, or type mixed together.  We see them as masses, without clear boundaries.  We do not see them as separate objects.

When we use the word �foods�, we are thinking about each individual kind, species, or type of food, separately.  We see them as individual objects or groups.  There are clear boundaries between one kind and another.  We see them as separate objects.

Oxford Dictionary of English: FOOD � noun [mass noun] any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink or that plants absorb in order to maintain life and growth: tins of cat food | [count noun] baby foods.

�PHRASES: food for thought something that warrants serious consideration.   

The following are some examples, written by Les Douglas.

Uncountable:

6)          In his shop, my father sells food and newspapers.  (Many types of food).

7)          We must eat food if we want to live.  (All kinds of food; food in general).

8)          �I always eat some food before I begin my work�.  (The type of food is not specified).  

9)          In the kitchen, the food needs lots of preparation.  (Mass).

10)      Food is usually cooked in the kitchen.  (All different kinds of food).

Countable:

6)          In his shop, I can see 3 types of liquid foods.  (Tea, coffee, and milk).

7)          Sweet foods, such as cakes and chocolate, make you fat.  (A particular type of food).

8)          Specific foods have specific chemical qualities.  (Individual, specific foods).

9)          In the kitchen, different foods have different smells.  (Individual).

10)      Foods which are high in protein, build the body.  (Individual, specific types of food).

I hope that this helps you.

Les Douglas = ldthemagicman

16 Oct 2011