Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOW...Word of the weekend    

WOW...Word of the weekend

edrodmedina
United States

WOW...Word of the weekend

Hello friends and friendlettes!!! Thank you Mar for choosing me as the winner of the WOD. The word for this weekend is one I just like the sound of. It �s not a particularly obscure word by any means but has character. The word is CANTANKEROUS. Let �s have some fun with this word. Remember no dictionary meanings. For some funny and/or thought provoking previous entries click here: http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=30957 Ed  

16 Oct 2011      

MapleLeaf
Canada

Cantankerous is someone who can dance (d(t)anc(k)er) so contagiously that in a minute or two won �t be the only one who is so glamorous.

16 Oct 2011     

MoodyMoody
United States

Ed, you �re right that this isn �t obscure at all. However, in the proper spirit of WOD, here goes: cantankerous describes someone who prefers not to drink beer from bottles but from CANS or TANKARDS.

16 Oct 2011     

Apodo
Australia

This word has a nautical history.

An anchor is a device, normally made of metal, that is used to connect a vessel to the bed of a body of water to prevent the it from drifting due to wind or current.
Some inexperienced sailors out on a fishing trip, not too far from the shore were having difficulty. They couldn �t anchor their boat because the water was too deep. That was when one of the men, who was becoming quite annoyed about the way the boat kept drifting, commented � There�s no way we can fish here. I can �t anchor us. �

16 Oct 2011