Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Students speaking English in class    

Students speaking English in class

Morrisons Eyes
France

Students speaking English in class

Hi everybody! I �d like to have some help concerning a problem I faced during one of my lessons and I can �t get to find a solution...

I made my teenage students work in group of 3/4 around the music theme (we had previously worked on the voc). They were supposed to find their favourite song as a group and to present it to the class. The students all did the second part well (which they wrote on their copybooks) but I coudn �t get them to speak English between themselves. It �s something very uncommon in France and they feel ackward speaking English with their friends.

Would you have tips to incite them speaking in English in class? Should I prepare specific documents for them? If yes, what do you give to your own students?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience on the subject.

16 Oct 2011      

Mulle
Denmark

I use my Knee-to-Knee wss. Students pair up and one student must keep talking about the word without using it until the partner has guessed it. They have groups of five words and take turns. There are further instructions on the ws.
It works very well with my students. Even the ones who don �t like talking end up saying something.

Hope you can use the idea.

16 Oct 2011