Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > about dyslexia    

about dyslexia

mari3lla
Italy

about dyslexia

Dear collegues, I �m an Italian teacher and I teach Esl to students aged 11-14.
I was wondering about using crosswords and word searchers for students suffering from dyslexia. Could they help? What are the best types of exercises to help them and also to increase their self-confidence with the subject? We are supposed to know everything about this problem and about all the problems children suffer from but I �m not an expert and I really need help. Thanks very much in advance.  

16 Oct 2011      

om montaha
Tunisia

Hi Dear ,
How Thoughtful you are?
I wish all teachers think of their pupils the same.

17 Oct 2011     

maryse pey�
France

ciao professoressa !

Let �s be serious.

An important point for this kind of kids.

Work with sounds. I mean : divide the long words in several syllabus largely separated and make the students pronounce each sound, each syllabus apart. Then repeat slowly the whole and make the students repeat.

Another important point is : WRITE WITH BIG CAPITAL LETTERS AND LET SPACE BETWEEN THE LINES.

Add the most possible pictures to help them.

Make a match game : cards written in black with short words at the beginning. Then a set of cards with the same words but with a different color for each. And ask the students to play with these cards.

When you read, read very slowly and ask them to close their eyes. The brain focuses on the sound. READ THEM THE TEXT BEFORE SHOWING IT TO THEM.

Remember SHORT TEXTS WITH SHORT SENTENCES WRITTEN IN BIG LETTERS.

Hope this could help.

buona giornata a te e coraggio !

Marisa. Maryse.

17 Oct 2011     

mari3lla
Italy

17 Oct 2011