Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to say a date in French    

How to say a date in French

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

How to say a date in French

Hello dear friends,

I have a problem that I can �t solve and it is about how to say a date in French.

I �ve found the explanation for the first day of the month:
 April 1st is le 1er avril. I can �t find any examples for let �s say 2nd, 3rd., 4th.  Do they use orinal numerals or do they use cardinal and the ordinal numeral is used only for the 1st? I know they would use cardinal numeral for  April 5th --- le 5 (cinq) avril, etc. I would be really happy if somebody could help me.

I thank you in advance. i wish you a nice evening. Hug

20 Oct 2011      

Mrs S.
France

Hello!

We say: le 1er avril but then we use cardinal numbers: le 2 avril, le 3 avril....le 30 avril

20 Oct 2011     

dagn
France

hello there!
yes, we say le 1er janvier, f�vrier, mars, avril, mai, juin, juillet, aout, septembre, octobre, novembre and d�cembre but the rest of the year we use cardinal numbers!! i had never thought about it! french can be so complicated sometimes! english is much more practical!
bye!

20 Oct 2011     

nourelhouda1
Tunisia

Hi , 
I agree with Mrs S . We say le 1er only for the first day of the month but for the others  , we use cardinal  numbers octobre le 2O for example .
Have a great day 

21 Oct 2011