Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Row or line?    

Row or line?

chiaras
Italy

Row or line?

Hi,

If I want to prevent my students from copying when they do their tests, I always have to prepare two similar tests, as I have large classes but small classrooms. I suppose I �m not the only one, aren �t I? I usually write on top of the first page "Fila A" and "Fila B" in Italian. From now on, I want to write the same thing in English. Can I say "Line A"-"Line B" or is it "Row A", "Row B" correct? I already know about the different use of "Line" and "Row". I �d just like to know what I should use in this specific context. Can any native speakers help me?

Thank you!!

Chiara

22 Oct 2011      

Apodo
Australia

I would name the tests: TEST A  /  TEST B

Students sit in rows in a traditional classroom:  ROW A   / ROW B

Is this what you mean?

22 Oct 2011     

chiaras
Italy

Test A and B are for different vertical rows, not horizontal ones, I don �t know if you understand what I mean.

Anyway, I suppose I can call them Test A and test B, as you suggest!!

Thanks!
Chiara

22 Oct 2011     

WiPo
Argentina

What about SET 1/ SET 2 ??

22 Oct 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

I just put a small flower on the top of one and a small tree on the top of the other. Or a cat and a dog or ... something. I �m not sure why, but my students always complained that "B" was more difficult than "A". Not any more. 

I �m sorry, I know this is not really the answer to your question.

Test A and test B sounds fine to me. Or version A and version B because they �re two versions of the same test, actually.

22 Oct 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

I have tried mixing the order of question blocks to help overcome cheating with my adults,i.e. one student gets questions in numerical order 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
The next gets them in a different order  8 7 1 3 5 2 6
The thrid gets  8 7 5 4 6 1 3 2 and so on.
A little bit of cutting and pasting when creating the test but extremely difficult to copy. Easy to mark as all students have all questions just in a different order. No student can complain that one test is more difficult because they �re exactly the same questions.
Cheers Joy

23 Oct 2011