Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOW "Heads or Tails?"    

WOW "Heads or Tails?"

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

WOW "Heads or Tails?"

WOW "Heads or Tails?"

CONGRATULATIONS, NURIKZHAN, you are the WINNER!

Thank you, all of those who submitted entries.

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=31054

What does the expression: �Heads or Tails� mean?

Who would you use it?

Where?

When?

Why?

How?

The expression, �Heads or Tails?� decides who wins and who loses, (or decides who goes first, and who goes second), in the order of play between two persons or teams, at the beginning of a game, competition, dispute, etc.

A coin is thrown into the air, spinning round and round.  One side of the coin is the �Head�, (in the UK, the head of Queen Elizabeth). The other side is the �Tail�.

While the coin is spinning, the question is asked: �Heads or Tails?�  One of the contestants answers, for example, �Head�.  If the coin lands with the �Head� showing upwards, that contestant wins, or goes first. If the coin lands with the �Tail� showing upwards, that contestant loses, or goes second.

What does: �I can�t make Head nor Tail of it!� mean?

It means that you are completely baffled, puzzled, and unable to understand something.

There are numerous other similar idiomatic expressions, including: �Heads you win, tails I lose!�

This refers to an unequal contest, in which �I� have no chance.  �You� will always win and �I� will always lose.

Over to you, Nurikzhan.  Congratulations.

All the Best!

Les

29 Oct 2011