Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Collocations do vs. make    

Collocations do vs. make

Natyk2010
Moldova

Collocations do vs. make

Could you please tell me what is correct: make one �s bed or do one � bed? I found both variants! Thank you in advance!

8 Nov 2011      

Lovely Lana
Greece

there �s a collocation "make the bed / make one �s bed", which means that you arrange your sheets and pillows in the morning so that your bed looks nice and tidy.
I don �t think "do the bed" is right in this case.

8 Nov 2011     

crispoi
Brazil

In general house chores we use do, but for bed you have to use make the bed.

9 Nov 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Natyk2010,

In the UK, in the situation which you describe, we say: "To make one �s bed".  We do not say: "To do one �s bed".

However, when we are referring to all the household jobs, we could say: "I will do the dishes, if you will do the beds, Peter can do the windows, and Maria can do the shopping", (for example).

This is the same as:"I will WASH the dishes, if you will MAKE the beds, Peter can CLEAN the windows, and Maria can GO shopping."

In "Practical English Usage", 2000, Michael Swan writes:
Note that we say make a bed, but we often talk about doing the bed(s) as part of housework.  Compare
He �s old enough to make his own bed now.
I �ll start on the vegetables as soon as I �ve done the beds.

I hope that this helps.

Les

9 Nov 2011