Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > from a long time ago...??    

from a long time ago...??

kinho
Brazil

You are all fantastic!!! Thanks for replying my post!!! I know I can count on you fellows!!!! It�s so funny when u discuss between u, natives.... Thanks again and a great day!!! Hugs !!!!!Hug

17 Nov 2011     

ruisleipa
Finland

@carey74

"I knew her from a long time ago.... means that you don �t know her anymore (she died)"

It �s true you don �t know her anymore, but why should she have died? You could just be out of touch.

"I know her from a long time ago.....means that you know that persons since a lot of time."

Surely you mean you have known that person for a long time?

"I knew her long time ago.... means that you met that person a long time ago and you stop knowing that person in some moment (bad memory???) I would say " I met that person long time ago.""

NO! �I knew her long time ago � and �I met that person long time ago � are INCORRECT sentences. We need the article �a � in both of them ( �a long time ago �), and they mean different things! The former means you no longer know her, the latter means you met her a long time ago, but you might still be in contact with her! It has nothing to do with bad memory!

I hope that makes ense for the original poster. Don �t trust everything you read! ;)

18 Nov 2011     

< Previous   1    2