Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > How does it work?    

How does it work?

ueslteacher
Ukraine

How does it work?

First of all, it �s great to have the website back to normal! Thanks, Victor, for fixing it!
Now, please, don �t bother posting in here if you think I �m advertizing.
I �ve created my very first online exercise and I �ve been wondering how the system of approval works. Where does the exercise show to be voted for? And how long does it take? When will I be able to add it to my students � list?
I �ll be greateful for a meaningful answer.
Sophia

2 Dec 2011      

cagreis
Portugal

Hi Sophia
It works the same as with ws or PPT. However the points you get are not displayed which is unfortunate.
If you make an online exercise, you �ll get points according to other users � ratings:
- Average rating 5: you will get 10 points
- Average rating 6: you will get 20 points
- Average rating 7: you will get 30 points
- Average rating 8: you will get 50 points
- Average rating 9: you will get 100 points
- Average rating 10: you will get 150 points
- Average rating under 5: the contribution is not approved and will be removed.

2 Dec 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

That �s exactly what I was wondering about. I know the figures, I just don �t understand what "rating" means. Does it mean the number of people who use it? Or do the moderators approve it on some special page? Is there a "recomend this" button somewhere? 
Sophia

2 Dec 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Sophia

When someone downloads your OE, a page will show up for people to rate the exercise.

Please rate this exercise

This exercise is pending approval. If you have seen this exercise, please review it:

Send your opinion:
It is stolen
It is not an ESL resource
It is useless
It has errors (grammar or spelling)
It is poor
It is useful
It is very good
It is great!!

It is good to read comments first. Maybe other teachers reported it as stolen and you didn �t know.
If the exercise is definitely approved (based on average rating), it will be included for free in www.englishexercises.org, and the author will get points according to the average rating.

Then it follows as Carlos has just written.

I �ve just rated it. Wink

Hugs

Linda

2 Dec 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thanks Linda,
I �ve never seen this "send your opinion" message before? that �s why I was asking. Will then the rating be visible to me on my page? I actually made that one for my students for extra vocabulary practice for the Unit we �ve just started. I just want to know how it works.
One more question in the page, where your students� results are shown, what do the red numbers mean? BC I�ve noticed they don�t coincise with the number of correct answers, so what are they, some sort of marks, then, what�s the highest mark?
Sophia

2 Dec 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Sophia

GOOD question! Very Good. I have no idea, never understood that, may be someone can explain us.Wink

Linda

2 Dec 2011     

cagreis
Portugal

Hi there again
No, ratings are not visible... only the remarks of members who are kind enough to leave one. Unlike ws or PPT where you can check how many people have downloaded them, in oe there is no way of knowing... which I find a bit unfair (maybe Victor can change this). I also think they are underrated, though I don �t care... I mostly do them for my students and not because of the points I may get for them.
Regarding your questions on the final score... well it �s just a score. 10 means everything is correct...it doesn �t refer to the actual correct answers... if they get 9 then something is wrong... etc.
Hope this was enlightening.
Hugs Carlos

2 Dec 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thank you, Carlos, for helping me out and making it all clear:)
Me too, I �m actually interested in whether or not I �ll be able to use the oe I created with my students.
Sophia

2 Dec 2011