Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > taps and prods    

taps and prods

wysiwyg
France

taps and prods

Hello, dear colleagues! I �m working on a mc donald �s ad, and I fail to understand some words/idioms? The commercial is called "There �s a mc donald �s for  eveyone", you can check it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=356doUG8OWI
I �ve searched the web to find "taps and probs", related to IT vocabulary, and haven �t found any suitable answer, even in the Urban Dictionary, and at specific computing or IT sites...
If you don �t have access to the ad:
And the IT bods
with taps and prods
eating a Big Mac
while writing their blogs
were just passing by.
Have you ever heard the phrase "taps and prods"?

Thank you for your help, have a nice weekend!

Florence

3 Dec 2011      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_tap
and prods could be short for products?
Sophia

3 Dec 2011     

wysiwyg
France

Thank you Sophia, this looks interesting. Thumbs Up

3 Dec 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Native speakers, please, help us understand!!!
Sophia

3 Dec 2011     

Apodo
Australia

The IT bods with their taps and prods.

This refers to them tapping and prodding at their keyboards.

It �s not a common phrase as far as I know. They just used the words that way so they �d rhyme.
I �m a native speaker.Smile

3 Dec 2011     

Jayho
Australia

I think they mean tapping and prodding the keyboard.  We tap the keyboard when we type.  To prod is really to poke at something and not quite what we do with a keyboard but could be understood to mean hitting the keys.  So  I think they really just used that word as they needed a word to rhyme with blog.

Edit: Apodo - we replied at the same time - great minds think alike

3 Dec 2011     

wysiwyg
France

Thank you very much, I had thought of tapping the keyboard, but had never heard the verb "prod". Thanks again, it �s sometimes quite tricky when you �re not a native speaker: we do our best, but we sometimes need help !
Florence

3 Dec 2011     

yanogator
United States

To prod is to poke something with the purpose of motivating it, so, even as a native speaker, it doesn �t make much sense here. I �ll accept what Jayho and Apodo said, because I don �t have a better answer.

Bruce

3 Dec 2011     

wysiwyg
France

Thank you, Bruce.

3 Dec 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I was wondering could the "prods" refer to styluses for touch screens?
Sophia

3 Dec 2011     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Sophia with poetic licence  anything is possible, but I didnot find any reference to prodding with a stylus pen. I did see several reference to products. It makes senst that bloggers would prod  their readers  to buy or review products.

3 Dec 2011     

1    2    Next >