Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > the difference between of course, sure and certainly.    

the difference between of course, sure and certainly.

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

the difference between of course, sure and certainly.

Hi colleagues!
I �d like to ask about the difference between of course, certainly and sure and which one is more common than the others in writing and speaking?
Thanks a lot for your help.

3 Dec 2011      

Apodo
Australia

Confused I can �t read your contribution ueslteacher??? All little black squares.

Here �s how I use the words:

The words are quite similar. It is just a matter of usage.
For me: Sure is informal (US English) but heard everywhere now. Certainly is more formal.

Informal use:
Can I come too? Sure
Can I come too? Of course you can. (Of course sounds a bit abrupt without You can etc. )
Are you going? Of course.  (Abrupt on purpose:Why would you think I �m not going?)  

More formal:
May I pay by credit card? Certainly Sir.
May I pay by credit card? Of course Sir. We have credit card facilities at the main desk.

4 Dec 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

Always be careful with �of course �. It is quite abrupt and can convey the meaning of �why are you asking that question...everyone knows that answer to that. �

Man speaking to alien from Outer Space.  "Do you come from Venus?"
Alien: Of course (thinking, "Can �t you see that my skin is green and I have little antennae on my head. I �m obviously not human!")

4 Dec 2011