Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with me or I    

Help with me or I

gordana44
Croatia

Help with me or I

Hello,

Can anybody please help me? What is correct?

In my family there are my mother, my father, my brothers and me or ...my brothers and I?

Thanks for your help.

18 Dec 2011      

maryse pey�
France

"ME" is the right answer.

18 Dec 2011     

gordana44
Croatia

Thank you for your help.

18 Dec 2011     

mariec
Spain

"I" is the correct answer, although  "there" seems to be the subject, the real subject is the noun that follows the verb.
 My father, my mother, my brothers and I are in my family/make up my family.
There are five members in my family, my father,my mother my two brothers and I.
 Have a good week!

18 Dec 2011     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi there!

The two

personal pronouns I and me are often used wrongly, usually in sentences in which I is being used with another noun. Here are some tips to help you get it right:

• Use the pronoun I, along with other subjective pronouns such as we, he, she, you, and they, when the pronoun is the subject of a verb:
He went to bed.
We waited for the bus.
Clare and I are going for a coffee.
In the last example, the pronoun I, together with the proper noun Clare, forms the subject of the sentence, so you need to use I rather than me.
    • Use the pronoun me, along with other objective pronouns such as us, him, her, you, and them, when the pronoun is the object of a verb:
Danny thanked them.
The dog followed John and me to the door.
In the last example, the pronoun me, together with the proper noun John, forms the object of the verb follow, so you need to use me rather than I.
    • Use the pronoun me, along with other objective pronouns such as us, him, her, you, and them, when the pronoun is the object of a preposition:
Rose spent the day with Jake and me.
Me, together with Jake, forms the object of the preposition with, so you need to use the pronoun me rather than the pronoun I.
hope this helps.Thumbs Up

18 Dec 2011     

rach81
Philippines

I is the correct answer. I agree with mariec the sentence is inverted therefore the subject comes before the verb. the subjects are my father, my mother, my brothers and I.
A sentence that starts with HERE and THERE is an inverted sentence, it means that the subject is found after the verb.

19 Dec 2011     

yanogator
United States

Here �s my take on it.
According to the "rules", "I" is correct, because of the linking verb "are" (so it is not the object of the verb). However, most people, in the US at least, would say "me". Likewise, in response to the question "Who is it?", most would answer "It �s me", rather than "It �s I", although "It �s I" is the grammatically "correct" answer.

Bruce

19 Dec 2011