Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help needed!     

Help needed!

LaPahl
Germany

Help needed!

Dear colleagues,

the same procedere as every year... I spend my time between Christmas and the New Year correcting loads of exam papers. Meanwhile I am a bit confused and need some help with a sentence taken from a comment about advertising for alcohohl:

"[...] I think that in our modern world many people think too bad of ads for alcohol. [...]"

It must be "to think about" but what about "think too bad"? - This sounds wrong to me. I suggest �have a negative opinion about� but why does it sound wrong? I think that "think too badly" is wrong either so what�s your opinion?

Thanks a lot for your answers!

Sonja

29 Dec 2008      

cheezels
New Zealand

Maybe: I think that in our modern world many people think negatively about ads for alcohol.
Your suggestion also "have a  negative opinion about" is also good. :-)

29 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

"think badly" is correct too, but I�d not use "think too badly".

Also if you aren�t sure about something, I always suggest substituting the word in question.

Example in - [...] I think that in our modern world many people think too bad of ads for alcohol. [...]  change bad for "well" or "highly" -
[.] I think that in our modern world many people think too well of ads for alcohol. [..]"

[.] I think that in our modern world many people think too highly of ads for alcohol. [.]"

These are correct (with an opposite meaning of course.) In other words, you are looking for the adverbial form and not the adjective - which in this case is "bad", here you would need to be using "badly". 

BUT the other examples by cheezels and your idea are correct too and maybe a bit more natural sounding or less formal anyways! Smile

29 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

yes "bad" is the incorrect word. �Replace it with badly or harshly or negatively and it sounds OK

29 Dec 2008     

LaPahl
Germany

Thanks a lot for your replies! They helped a lot!

Greetings from Germany
Sonja

29 Dec 2008