Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need your Help! =)    

Need your Help! =)

Seniorita
Russian Federation

Need your Help! =)

Could you please help me with the necessary articles in the following sentences? I �m really confused Embarrassed
1. How much is ... dictionary? Is it ... expensive book? ("a", "an" - right?)
2. - Where did you get ... cat from? - From ... friend.

Thanks in advance for every answer!!! SmileHug
Nataly

25 Dec 2011      

maryse pey�
France

Hi Nataly,

How much is A dictionary ? If you are speaking of a dictionary in general.

How much is THE dictionary ? If you are in a bookshop and want to buy a particular dictionary. Then you ask a shop assistant who is able to identify THE dictionary you want.

Is it AN expensive book ? Among all the other books is this one expensive ? You may want to buy it and ask for information.

Where did you get THE / THIS cat from ? From A friend (of mine). You are talking of a specific cat. You are looking at it or pointing to it. A friend among all the friends.

Hope this could help.

Maryse.

25 Dec 2011     

Seniorita
Russian Federation

Thanks a lot, dear Maryse!!!!!Smile

In the first sentence we don �t know the situation((( It is given as it is! That �s why I �m so confused Embarrassed  In this case, I suppose it �s better to use indefinite articles, no?

Thanks one more time!

25 Dec 2011     

maryse pey�
France

You are absolutely right Nataly !

25 Dec 2011