Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Dear Moderators...     

Dear Moderators...

Mar0919
Mexico

Dear Moderators...

Dear Moderators... I just wanted to express that I am very disappointed and sad. I think in the time I have been a member of this wonderful site, I have proven to be a peaceful, quiet person. I mostly keep to myself, help those whom I can help, be it with my experience gained through 20 years of teaching, or with a kind word when it is needed. I have never broken the rules of this site, since I �m very careful to follow these to the dot. I �m not perfect, no, but I try to be very honest.
Following these rules, I uploaded a worksheet a couple of days ago, and I used a cartoon from the internet. On this site, it was expressed CLEARLY that anyone could use these images FREELY, and to keep the link to their site available. Which I did. Nevertheless I was notified that it was removed because I broke the rules of ESLP. And that if I "continued" to break the rules, my account would be cancelled. In the first place, I �d like to ask the moderators, to kindly, check thoroughly before voting for removal of a worksheet. Though I do greatly appreciate your work, and acknowledge that without your valuable  help here moderating, maybe this site would be a little chaotic. But, we are all human, and we make mistakes. Please don �t take this as offense, but you are not always right in the decisions you make. My dear friend Julia, told me she strongly opposed to the removal, stating clearly that the site I  used expressed clearly that they gave authorization to use their images FREELY. But, I guess whoever reported, could absolutely care less. Yes, I contacted Victor, but I �m not writing this to recover my worksheet, or get more points, it �s not about that. It �s about the frustration, and how demotivated some of us get with these wrongly made decisions. And then those messages that are sent from the admin are problably automated messages, but I think you should consider re-writing them a little bit less harsh. I mean to accuse someone so off-handedly, and threatening that to "continue" breaking the rules... I mean, to me, continue means someone who has done it once, again, and again. Is it fair to send these harsh messages to everybody???? Many times these reports and removals are mistakes, yet you treat everybody the same.

I �m sorry to bring this up in the forum, but if I knew who to direct this to privately I would. I am very against making personal problems public.

Some members in the past who have had similar problems decide to erase their worksheets and leave the site. I will not leave the site because I think it �s wonderful, and I have met (sadly not in person --- YET) such wonderful friends here, that I �d be a fool to just pack up and leave. The site is wonderful, the worksheets of all the wonderful members are marvelous and so useful. I guess I �ll just take myself to the sidelines, read posts, download wonderful materials and... appreciate and thank you for your contributions. But, to contribute? I �d have to think again, honestly being scared to do it, or feeling nervous or anxious waiting for it to be reported and removed..... no, this feeling stinks.

Anyway, sorry for venting away like  this. Hope you all, members, moderators and site owner, to have a blessed 2012 full of success, in your personal life, in your professional life, and in your families.

Hugs,

Mar

2 Jan 2012      

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

hi Mar

That �s life ... the way it is.... one day so happy for achiving 1000 points and,,,,, the other day... someone misreporting us.

I didn �t see the reporting page, but this is easy, either the moderators vote for it to stay or, if you are right, the reason on your side, you can pm Victor and he will solve it.
So sorry for that... I know what it is like . .. we , ... kind of ..feel dirty. So sad, some people are always in a hurry to report.

Cheers, life goes on and what we leave apart today may have gone tomorrow, so, take the good things you have, now ...

I know, not a very comfortable and cheerful advice... the best I have ..., anyway

See you, Mar, thanks for all your good work.

Linda

3 Jan 2012     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you, dear Linda, for your words! and yes, you �re right. I mustn �t let this make my mood feel gloomy. Hey, after all, I still have 4 more days of Xmas break, what more can I ask! :D

Hug

3 Jan 2012     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Thumbs Up

You lucky girl, I �m starting in a few seven or eight hours and I still need to pay a visit to my bed and sleep a little ( no time to sleep a lot - LOL )

Considering moving to Mexico... apart from the mosquitos I JUST LOVED it.

Can you get me a place there? I �m starting to pack.... Wink

Happy New Year

Linda

3 Jan 2012     

David Lisgo
Japan

Sorry to hear that Mar. I �m sure that the vast majoruty of moderators do check carefully. Perhaps Julia �s comment came too late to sway people and probably most moderators were not around, so it would only take a couple of careless votes. I know that I have only been popping in and out for short periods these past few days and today will be no different.
You are not yet a moderator Mar but when you do eventually become one you will see the enormity of the task facing us each day, it �s frustrating for us too.
Please don �t let this overly upset you, it is something that has happened to many of us. Have a nice evening.
David

3 Jan 2012     

lockman
Morocco

you see dear Mar ,SOMETIMES we strongly need those "harsh" words to get it done the way it should.But I know for sure just from reading  your post that you re not the kind of person to blame for such awful deed!Every word of your post sounds honest so I strongly believe it was a terrible mistake .To me you should not give up so easily .Get in touch with victor and explain the matter to him in full detail.He is as honest as you are and you ll get fair report instead!Happy New Year and KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!! 

3 Jan 2012     

Mar0919
Mexico

Dear Linda, you need look no more, just tell me where to pick you up! You �ll have a home in my house, and will be most welcomed! I will be honored to have you!

Dearest David, like I said, I know, I appreciate, and I value all the hard work moderators do! Honestly!!! And no thanks! LOL!!!! Wouldn �t want to be one! For one, no time, and on the other hand, I wouldn �t have the heart to remove someone �s work. Yes, I know sometimes the decisions are totally correct, but I �m a chicken heart on that! Thank you for takint the time to respond!

Dear Lockman, thank you so much for your words! You don �t know how much the support from all you beautiful people mean to me! I did get in touch with Victor, and I know how honest he is. Like I said, it �s not about the points or whatever, it �s this icky feeling of unfairness. Happy New Year to you too!!! And again, thank you!!!

3 Jan 2012     

libertybelle
United States

Dear Mar.  I totally agree with you. I think many of us have been in this situation at one time or another and it �s not a nice situation to be in.

I also agree that the automated message should be phrased differently - because mistakes do happen.

A while back - anyone could report a worksheet. I �m not sure how it works these days.
But back in the day, a few people who were not moderators, reported a lot of worksheets just for the heck of it.  It was a total pain.

Mistakes happen - and it �s fine you came with a "heads-up" about this problem and I hope it can be corrected.

Glad to hear that you �re not packing it in!!!
Wouldn �t want to lose someone like you!

best wishes
Libertybelle

3 Jan 2012     

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi Mar
Sorry I �m not a moderator and I can �t help you in that department. May I suggest that next time you use a free picture from a website that you state it in your description. It may avoid a misunderstanding.

I �m sure that Victor will help you if it gets wrongly removed.

Happy New Year!

@ Linda, no mosquitoes here. Just a lot of snow. Interested? I have spare shovel just for you.

3 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

OK, Linda,
Here in Cincinnati we have mosquitoes (unlike Manonski �s offer in Canada), some snow, and quite a few Mexicans in my neighborhood so that you can pretend you �re in Mexico. (No Portuguese or Brazilians, so you can �t speak Portuguese around here).

Bruce

3 Jan 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Mar

I understand your frustration on all accounts and yes, mistakes are made.  Fortunately, mistakes are minimal in the overall scheme of things and this time it happened to be you caught in the crossfire.  As David wrote, perhaps the required number of votes had already occurred when Julia wrote her comment - this often happens, for both the �remove� and �stay� situations. I have been away and did not see your reported contribution but I am sure that a simple e-mail from you to Victor will fix this up.

The moderator�s page is not such a nice place to be - even now, with only a small amount of reported contributions totalling 25, far less than in �normal� times, over 60%  are reported as exact copies stolen from here and other places.  Others reported show breach of rules relating to watermarks, clipart only, repeats and not in English.  It�s a thankless and daunting task and it is easy for moderators to become complacent when such blatant unacceptable behaviour is rife day after day, year after year.

It�s best not to take it personally and to approach Victor with your concerns.  In the meantime, always cite your sources on the bottom of your worksheets.  Much is allowable under fair use rules for educational purposes.  Also, putting something in your description like Manon said is a good idea (especially as moderators can see this without opening the document).  Finally, becoming a moderator helps you defend your work when it is reported.  You are in a much better position to explain your situation.  We will welcome you with open arms.

Cheers, and HNY!l

Jayho

3 Jan 2012     

1    2    3    Next >