Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A composition    

A composition

beefeater
Albania

A composition

My students will have to write a composition about this topic and I need a draft,

Could you please help me with some ideas?

�It will take Japan many years to recover from the disaster and to rebuild its economy.�

Refute this claim developing arguments against it or support it using your ideas.
THANKS A LOT

3 Jan 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

Do you mean a sample composition? I �m not sure about British English, but in the USA, a draft means an early copy of a work before revision. How long and detailed a composition are you assigning? Will this be an assignment over several weeks, or an essay question on a test?

I honestly don �t see how this statement could realistically be refuted, assuming by disaster you mean the tsunami and resulting nuclear meltdown from last year. Maybe David Lisgo or another Japanese member could give you more concrete details.

When I assigned papers back in the day, I did provide a sample, but I told them not to copy it. They had to do something different. Unless you want to do all the research for your students, I suggest you provide a sample on a different but similar topic. Perhaps your sample could be about a different disaster, such as the earthquakes in Turkey.

3 Jan 2012     

ELOJOLIE274
France

Your question is strange... when I give an assignment to my pupils I always check I can do the assignment! because if I can �t how can I ask my pupils - who are still in the process of learning English - to do it !!!

and when I give them an assignment I always make sure they know how to do it:
for example if I wanted my pupils to write an essay like the one you �re talking about I would first give my pupils a few documents about another disaster - 9/11 for example. the 1st document would explain what happened, the 2nd how the Americans reacted to the attack, the 3rd an essay on what changed after 9/11... after studying all those documents we would try to answer a question like "It took the Americans many years to recover from 9/11..." we would do it together, and I would ask pupils to work together to build their arguments. Then I would give them the question for the final assignment and ask them to find documents on the subject, we would study 1 document together to help them with the vocabulary they would need...

do you see what I mean? if you don �t train your pupils to complete the assignment you �ve asked them to you they won �t be able to do it and it would be a failure on both side: they won �t write anything interesting and if they do it won �t be thanks to you...

3 Jan 2012