Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > the "other" mystery    

the "other" mystery

wysiwyg
France

the "other" mystery

I wonder which is better -although I �ve heard both, and what difference there is between the two different ways of saying "often": with a silent "t" - as I was taught in school, or without. A charming old lady from Grantham once told me that " University educated people say ofTen", do you agree?

6 Jan 2012      

yanogator
United States

In the US, it �s somewhat regional, although here in Cincinnati, it is pronounced both ways - but mostly with a silent t.

Bruce

6 Jan 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

There are different ways to pronounce it in the UK as well as US, just like Bruce said it �s probably the regional thing. Here �s what the dictionary has http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/often (click to listen)
Here�s the discussion on a different forum I found http://www.englishforums.com/English/HowToPronounceOften/vbpwk/post.htm 
Sophia

6 Jan 2012     

wysiwyg
France

Thank you... and this discussion on englishforums is really hilarious...Big smile
 I still don �t know which way is the best, but I sure had a good time! Anyway, it �s not the worst of the numerous mistakes I make....and people understand me nevertheless...
Have a nice weekend!

6 Jan 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I �m glad you liked it:)
Sophia

6 Jan 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

wysiwyg, I think both Bruce and Sophia tried to explain that BOTH pronunciations are OK, neither of them is a mistake.....so this is NOT one of your numerous mistakes :)

7 Jan 2012     

wysiwyg
France

Yes Marion, i know, my point was more about cultural or social difference here...this is an interesting aspect of phonology,  IMHO...

7 Jan 2012     

Jayho
Australia

We use both versions too - both are acceptable

8 Jan 2012     

mrs.uzunalli
Turkey

as far as  I know �often � with T sound  is British English and other is American which has no T sound.

13 Jan 2012