Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Comment, please.    

Comment, please.

Myszka
Poland

Comment, please.

How would you comment this transformation to your student?

There aren �t any interesting films on TV today.
There are ....

There are boring films on TV today. (She has written)

7 Jan 2012      

perma
Greece

I think something is missing in her sentence.
Perhaps: There are only boring films on TV today.

Did you want to practice something specific with this exercise? I mean, was she expected to answer differently? If so, you could make a note on that but still accept her answer.

7 Jan 2012     

Myszka
Poland

In the exam �s key that my students have taken there was only one answer given - There are no interestg films on TV today. ( I think it is unfair because here can be several answers)

7 Jan 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Maybe the task was to write an alternative negation, in which case the key would be the only possible answer.
Sophia

7 Jan 2012     

lhmoniz
Portugal

There aren �t any interesting films on TV today.

There are no interesting films on TV today.

If the idea is  a rephrasing exercise you, you should keep the original meaning with a new structure.
You can turn a negative verb sentence with any into an affirmative one ,but you must  keep the negative meaning. 
In this case, you have to turn the verb to the affirmative and use no, otherwise you would have a double negation and that �s not correct in English ( wrong : there are �nt no )
Hope I helped you.

7 Jan 2012     

maoopa
China

I �d say it �s perfectly fine. I �d mark it as correct.

Best,

Mauro

www.bononelo.com 

7 Jan 2012     

Myszka
Poland

Thanks for answers.

7 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

The important thing that you haven �t told us yet is what the instructions were. If she did what she was asked to do, she is correct. If not, she �s not.

Bruce

7 Jan 2012     

Myszka
Poland

The instruction was to :
complete the sentences with the suitable words and phrases so their meaning was the same, they were gramatically and logically correct.
I suppose lhmoniz was right

7 Jan 2012     

mariec
Spain

"There are no interesting films on TV today," is the correct answer as you are told to keep the meaning the same.

7 Jan 2012