Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with REPORTED SPEECH     

Help with REPORTED SPEECH

nuno miguel
Portugal

Help with REPORTED SPEECH

Hi
Would you be so kind and help me to put this sentences in the direct speech into reported speech

Direct Speech-"What sort of joke is that?"

Reported Speech- John asked him what sort of joke was that

or

John asked him what sort of joke that was

Thanks

13 Jan 2012      

helenarechena
Portugal

It �s the 2nd option. There is no inversion of the subject because it is no longer a question. ;) (as it was in the direct speech)
Best wishes

13 Jan 2012     

Poppingdale
Portugal

No doubt it �s the second one because now it �s a statement and no longer a question, so the subject comes before the verb.

13 Jan 2012     

kingfant72
Japan

Wrong and wrong. "What sort of joke is that?" is a rhetorical question meaning "that �s a crap joke". There �s no question being asked. It �s like reporting "who cares?" as "he asked me who cared", which is totally wrong and mildly retarded. Much better to use direct speech: John rolled his eyes and said, "what sort of joke is that?". If reporting the conversation verbally you would mimic his sarcastic tone.

13 Jan 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Kingfant is right, but I guess helena and poppingdale have stuck to the grammar in the sentence, so they are right, too ;-)

13 Jan 2012