Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Politics - worldwide devastation, not just Palestine & Israel, but also Darfur, Uganda & countless others - how sad    

Politics - worldwide devastation, not just Palestine & Israel, but also Darfur, Uganda & countless others - how sad

Zora
Canada

On my part, I agree with you to a point... except, to be quite honest with you, I tend to stay far away from forums or blogs that are geared towards politic and news. I do read the newspaper but I find many to be biased or "coloured" in their views.

And say, if there was one here, and I could discuss or ask people I know and trust, about things I might want to know without feeling ignorant or silly for not knowing. Teachers have a way of explaining things without being condescending and are more open-minded about stuff - usually...

Also, I am not saying we should have a thing but many people aren�t clear on things like for example - "Martin Luther King" day, Guy Fawkes, or certain writers, world leaders, countries, etc.  It could be a cultural forum where we could ask things like this.

31 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Bias is a funny thing. Not only do organisations have bias, so do people (just read the thread that my original post is essentially a response to).

Teachers are people too. Again, look at the thread that prompted this one from me. Consider the radical teachings in some Islamic schools or Opus Dei (just to name a couple).

It�s great that members of this community ask about Guy Fawkes Day , Martin Luther King day & the like. I don�t think we need a separate forum for culture because it falls under the �Message Board� topic. People are making regular comments or questions about cultural topics - just as we should & do! So , in essence, ESLPrintables is already a �cultural forum� - particu;arly when you consider the range of countries & cultures the membership is from Tongue

Cheers,
ab

31 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

... oh, I know I am going to have people shout at me for saying this... but the other threads weren�t "political" to me, the "heatedness" (I think I just made up a word LOL ) that was in them, came from... oh, shush Linda don�t say it.... religion! (Yikes, I said the "r" word... Tongue

It�s a feeling, I think anyways, that comes from religious differences and animosity towards the countries because of it. Not because of politics. And I, for one, find nothing wrong with "politics" - now, religion is whole other story!! One that I refuse to touch with a ten foot pole... and I think, many people are confusing the matter a bit since the two countries in mention, have politics and religion tied very closely together...

31 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

ah yes, religion & politics - 2 things you should never discuss if you want to stay friends!!!!

Politics can lead to as much evil as religion (dare I mention Iraq - GWB - or Stalin - Ukraine & starvation????)

Happy New Year to you Zora!

31 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Happy New Year Bryce... you�ve "crossed" over by now, haven�t you??

I�m off, see you on the 4th... I�m on holidays in 10 minutes and I am not going anywhere near a computer!! Tongue

Hugs,

Linda Hug

31 Dec 2008     

< Previous   1    2