Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help! Oral expression    

Help! Oral expression

treasure0911
France

Help! Oral expression

Hello to all!

I �m asking for your help because I can �t seem to find any good ideas for a group I �m supposed to make improve on oral expression.
To begin with I was supposed to have a group of advanced students and this is why I had offered oral expression workshop which is going to last 4 more weeks one hour a week. I wanted to work on role plays and impros but I discovered the groups had not been made correctly and I now have a group of students who have got great difficulties even making a sentence. I tried making them invent and act out short dialogues but they were very quickly short on ideas and vocabulary.

Would some of you have some ideas to make them speak and work in a fun way? ideas, websites or WS to download?

Thank you for all the help you can bring me.

Audrey

18 Jan 2012      

zoemorosini
United States

Hi there, Audrey! 

First, I commend you for not giving up.  We all "begin" somewhere when it comes to language.  I have taught this level for my whole career.  My advice is as follows:

1.  Have students talk about themselves, but provide the vocabulary they can choose from at first.  It can be on simplified worksheets, in lists, or on flashcards, but LOTS of illustrations are essential to support understanding.  Use themes such as personal information (data, etc.), hobbies, vacations, sports, TV, movies and dreams for the future.

2.  Teach a simple grammar structure, such as asking for and telling time, to have them talk to each other about daily activities (what time do you______?---I ______ at 5:30).  I have my beginners learn daily activities verbs, then create interviewing charts they can fill in with times their classmates provide.  I have one made and posted on ESL Printables; I can also send it to you, no points needed.  Just PM me and give your email.

3.  Finally, have students write short sentences using the above two ideas and read them out loud to the class to build confidence and fluency.

Let me know if you need more help!

Your American friend
Zoe Morosini

18 Jan 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Why not browse through the speaking activities here on ESL Printables:

Sophia

18 Jan 2012     

wysiwyg
France

It all depends on their age, how old are they?

18 Jan 2012     

jamiejules
France

I find that board games or card games work with students from 10 to 18!!
What I think is good about them is that you can adapt the rules to suit the students needs.
hope that helps...

18 Jan 2012     

treasure0911
France

Yes, sorry, I should have said they are about 15/16. They have regular lessons. This is just a workshop that last 5 weeks, one hour a week. For my French colleagues (accompagnement perso!)

I have just spent more than 2 months doing boardgames with students to review basis and they do like this even though I don �t know how much it helped because that was just 4 hours for each group.

I �m a bit lost because we �re supposed to do things differently from what we do in class but with students who have great difficulties and furthermore some I �ve never seen before, it �s very hard to get things going!

Thank you for your ideas and support, if you �ve got others...!

18 Jan 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Have a look at this! Should get you started!

http://busyteacher.org/5760-7-tips-to-get-your-students-speaking-easily.html

Let me know if it works.

18 Jan 2012     

treasure0911
France

Thanks! I �m going to work on a taboo first and then on a powerpoint to make them speak about different topics, and promise I �ll try not to correct them but let them speak and of course SMILE!

19 Jan 2012