Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can this sentence considered correct?    

Can this sentence considered correct?

caren_630
Egypt

Can this sentence considered correct?

Can i consider this sentence correct "Chemistry is a game to him"? He is trying to say that someone is good at chemistry.

18 Jan 2012      

yanogator
United States

Yes. It �s possible and not even unusual. We also say "a breeze" or "a piece of cake".

Bruce

18 Jan 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I would take it to mean that chemistry is just a joke to him.

18 Jan 2012     

foose1
United States

I think it is original as kids love games.  So, if chemistry is a game to him, then it means that chemistry can be fun to learn.  Definitely, not a joke but something that can be easy, "like a piece of cake." 

18 Jan 2012     

douglas
United States

Technically- if it �s a game to him he enjoys it--he doesn �t, necessarily, have to be good at it nor is it necessarily easy for him.

(I know people that love to surf. It �s "their game", but they aren �t really too good at it in reality). 

But generally, if we say something is a game to someone it usually implies that they are good at it.

<<my two cents>>
Douglas

18 Jan 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think you can imply that �chemistry is just a game to him � isn �t a meaningful utterance. I �m English and ancient and it certainly doesn �t mean that he �s good at chemistry. It means, if anything, that he doesn �t take it seriously. Actually, it doesn �t sound natural and I �ve never heard of it. �Chemistry is a breeze � conveys what you mean to say i.e �Chemistry is easy for him �  or �Chemistry is a doddle �. or, much more colloquial - �a piece of p*** �  

18 Jan 2012     

boydegg
Thailand

I agree with Cunliffe. 

The only way it works is in the sense of:  Chemistry is a joke to him; he doesn �t take the subject seriously.

18 Jan 2012     

edrodmedina
United States

I �ve heard it used the way Bruce (yanogator) mentioned above when something comes easily to someone. It �s so easy that it seems like a game he/she doesn �t have to work at it. My two pence. Ed

18 Jan 2012