Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need help with WORD    

I need help with WORD

blunderbuster
Germany

I need help with WORD

Dear members,

I can �t seem to figure out how to reduce the line spacing when I press the return button.

The cursor goes two lines down, not one like in normal text. Ctrl + 1 does not do the trick and manual adjustment doesn �t work either.

Can you help me?

Kind regards

28 Jan 2012      

apayala
Spain

First, open an old document, I mean, one doc created before you had this problem and press the return botton to see if it also happens in that previous doc. Let me know and we�ll carry on looking for a solution
Ana

28 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

If this is the newer version of Word, you set this on the Page Setup area on the ribbon. It is automatically set to 1 1/2 space AND a 10-point additional space every time you hit Enter (Return). This is very anoying. You need to set the spacing to Single, AND reduce the "After" (to the left of the spacing part) to 0.

Bruce

28 Jan 2012     

Apodo
Australia

Try holding SHIFT down, then hit RETURN.

Return is usually set to the spacing for a new paragraph, and that overrides it.
Maybe that will do the trick.

29 Jan 2012