Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > trip or journey?    

trip or journey?

aldonza
Spain

trip or journey?

Hi there!

I�ve got a question Ermm,

Should I say " I�ve won a TRIP or a JOURNEY to America for two people"?
and why?.

Thanks in advance!!!

30 Jan 2012      

ahmed.Tunisia
Tunisia

I would say a trip is the correct answer : This may be helpful :

journey implies time spent travelling from one place to another, especially over a long distance.

• The journey from London to Newcastle by train can now be completed in under three hours.

trip 

trip usually involves more than one single journey. We talk about day trips, round trips and business trips. We make journeys usually, but we go on trips. A trip implies a visit to a place that involves a journey, for pleasure or a particular purpose, 

• I went on a day trip to France. We left at 6.30 in the morning and returned before midnight the same day.

30 Jan 2012     

mariec
Spain

http://www.ejerciciodeingles.com/palabras-faciles-confundir-travel-trip-journey-voyage/

30 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

As Ahmed said, a journey emphasizes the time (and often the experience) of the traveling. A trip is about the destination and the time spent after you arrive. A journey is more of an adventure than a trip is.

Bruce

30 Jan 2012     

libertybelle
United States

and to continue where Bruce left off:

Journey is almost an old-fashioned word now.  When I hear about a journey today, it �s either self-exploratory or something from Lord of the Rings!!

30 Jan 2012     

aldonza
Spain

Wow, how interesting your comments are!.

Thanks for explaining it so clearly!

Cheers

30 Jan 2012