Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > The verb to be : subjunctive mode    

The verb to be : subjunctive mode

Mouna mch
Algeria

The verb to be : subjunctive mode

hello everybody,

these days I �m dealing with conditional type 2, and a question is just bothering me:

I know that the"were" ,which is called the "past subjunctive", is commonly used in

conditional (hypothetical) statements, such as  #2.

in this case ,is not wrong or less common to use "was" with he/she/it?

thanks in advance

Regards

Mouna

6 Feb 2012      

sijorumo
Colombia

Hi! 

�Was� is not wrong, the thing is that it�s more usual to use were than was.

If you are going to use the form �was� in written English or in testing situations, it�s grammatically incorrect. But if you are going to use it in everyday conversations, the form �was� is OK. 

6 Feb 2012     

noeneo
Indonesia

dear Mouna..

if we are talking about conditional sentence especially the second type, "was" can �t used. we have to use "were" because it belongs to unreal condition, the past tense form of be is always were in a conditional sentence...it can NEVER be was in correct English...

7 Feb 2012     

james33
Morocco

WERE not WAS because it �s an unreal conditional, a present wish.We must use WERE to show and explain the non-reality of the conditional.The same thing with the expressions:I WISH/IF ONLY+SIMPLE PAST AS WITH THIS FORM WE ALSO EXPRESS A PRESENT WISH and we must use WERE not WAS.

7 Feb 2012