Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > grammar young kids    

grammar young kids

jg574
Argentina

grammar young kids

Hi people ! Today I need you help because I � d like to read about teaching grammar to young kids (7- 9 years old). I know that we shouldn �t teach grammar in a direct way but I need some techniques to do so. Please I �d really appreciate your help and suggestions. Thanks!

7 Feb 2012      

madamev
France

You may make them circle (for example!!) the verbs in red, underline the subjects in green, that kind of things. It �s very basic but important!

7 Feb 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

That �s tough, as young kids don �t know and don �t understand grammar notions in their mother tongue let alone in foreign/second language.
I �d go for chart-like drawings with funny characters with clear models and examples.
Sophia

7 Feb 2012     

alya als
United Arab Emirates

grammer is difficult. students should focus on the language so they would learn about the grammer as you speak

7 Feb 2012     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

Why not?   i teach 8-10 yrs old and i teach them grammar and they get  it very well.

7 Feb 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

We all do, Liz:) The question is: do you use (with the youngest ones) grammar terms like: subject, predicate, adjective, adverb, degrees of comparison, infinitive and so on?
Sophia

7 Feb 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

Please begin with grammar in CONTEXT - in simple sentences...
I would start with present simple + every day and present continuous + now and elicit the difference - Mark goes to school every Monday but now he is lying in bed. He is ill.
Comparatives - Cats are smaller than dogs. Wolves are hungrier than mice. Mice are quiter than monkeys. Monkeys are funnier than koalas...
or classroom objects - My ruler is longer than your ruler. This pen is nicer than that pen...

Use vocabulary your pupils know very well and try to make the sentences as simple/short as possible.

Easy stories might help.

7 Feb 2012     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

yes sophia i do because as in the US we have like national test and they have exercises that ask those terms. and let me tell you something i learned english by understanding grammar. when i started teaching that i understood my mistakes and my english improved so much that i had native speaker teachers at college that thought i was a native speaker too.

8 Feb 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I think that in the primary it should be  all about the use and not theory, but that �s my personal opinion. 
Just an example from personal experience: in our curriculum degrees of comparison of adjectives in English come before they are taught in Ukrainian, and for me, there �s no point in making my students memorize the terms the comparative degree, the superlative degree, etc., bc the kids just don �t retain that in the primary, but that doesn �t mean I don �t teach the rules about the syllables and the suffixes, and we practice them in structures.
Sophia

8 Feb 2012     

elisestaves
United Kingdom

Hiya,

If you are a fan of reading theory and methodology then I can recommend chapter 5: "Learning Grammar" of Lynne Cameron �s book-"Teaching Languages to Young Learners".

Here is a link to download the book: http://ifile.it/36qvh52/tlyl.rar

Take care.

Elise

8 Feb 2012     

maggiejeria
Chile

Sorry friends, but still not clear to me whether it is good or not teach grammar to students.
Maggie

8 Feb 2012     

1    2    Next >