Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Staging some shows    

Staging some shows

cater
Italy

Staging some shows

Hi everyone!
I hope somebody can help me. I �m working on a project which involev teaching English through Drama, so I am supposed to stage some shows at the end of the school year. The problem is that we haven �t got a proper theare, so no curtains to separate the scenes. Now, my question is... if I have to remove props to change the set, how can I do it without spoiling the show? Moreover, in Romeo and Juliet some "students" get killed (Tybalt, Mercutio,etc..): how can they disappear from stage? I can �t make them come to life again and let them walk out.
Please, if you have some ideas, I �d be grateful.
Have a nice weekend
Caterina

18 Feb 2012      

savvinka
Russian Federation

Hi, Cater,

I teach future actors. At the first course of studies they learn how to show animals, people in different situations. At the end of the semester they have  got an exam on acting skills and perform short sketches in a form of a veriety show. So, after every sketch the sts dressed in black clothes who are not involed in a present sketch remove all the props to change the set. It �s a widespread practice for the theatre schools. I can say that when you watch this show the team in black clothes doesn �t strike your eye.

18 Feb 2012     

Mallerenga
Spain

I �m in the same situation and what I do is that the boys and girls carry the different sets with them. So it is totally natural to carry a tree, a table or a chair with them and then, take it away. With the dead ones I normally ask another character to carry them out of the scene. Another option is a "black out". Then, you can move everything (people should wear black clothes as savvinka said).
Cheers and break a leg!

18 Feb 2012     

anitarobi
Croatia

Agreed - there �s also another advantage to using kids in black clothes - they usually remember all the lines so they can whisper to your actors if these get confused or even step in if anybody playing in the show gets ill. What also helps are movable panels made as wooden frames with cloth for curtains, but they have to be light to be movable and then everybody on the stage has to be careful not to knock them down while moving on the stage.

19 Feb 2012     

cater
Italy

Thank you very much for your help! 

19 Feb 2012