Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > first day of class kindergarten    

first day of class kindergarten

jhoe
China

first day of class kindergarten

Hi everyone, I am a little bit worried about my first day of class in kindergarten, I am thinking of teaching the kids greetings and some action songs like "Walking,walking". Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

27 Feb 2012      

cocho16
Costa Rica

Something that lil kids will appreciate... are the games, activities where they can move. USe TPR while u introduce the greetings. Choose and action for each greeting

27 Feb 2012     

psd4fan
China

Anything by The Wiggles is a lot of fun for kids of all ages, even me. Big smile

27 Feb 2012     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Did you know the Wiggles earn more than Nicole Kidman??!! They �re rolling in it. or should i say wiggling in it!!

27 Feb 2012     

lusil
Indonesia

u dont have to be worried. u �ve got the ideas.. that will work,but u also can start with introducing self and continue with singing..try �little indian � song or �old mcdonald �. my students love it so much..

good luck Smile

27 Feb 2012     

dennismychina
China

Hi I normally start a class with an attention grabber, a clapping sequence and include simple actions like; Clap, clap touch your (parts of the body) Clap, clap stand up, hands up, hands down etc. and only after this say �class begins�. I then teach 1, 2, 3, claps sit up straight or 123 hands on knees, and use this throughout the class to gain control (sounds harsh) / keep their attention, then normal greetings. (For u new young class use puppets or fluffy animal toys). Use flash cards for the walking, walking song.
Teaching come and go can also be great fun. (Short but fun) Link for flashcards = http://www.mes-english.com/flashcards/files/verbs2_flash.pdf
Break / change tack often, you can normally tell when they are getting restless. Use songs with actions Twinkle, Twinkle � Once I Saw a Little Bird (GREAT). And most importantly have as much genuine fun with the children as you hope they will have with you.
Enjoy.

27 Feb 2012     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

For good songs for young learners check out dream english
 My kids love the Goodbye song.

27 Feb 2012     

jhoe
China

Thank you all, it was really helpful. 

1 Mar 2012