Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The use of the internet in your country    

The use of the internet in your country

zailda
Brazil

The use of the internet in your country

Hi everyone!

After three months and two computer crashes, here I am again. During that long period of darkness and sadness I didn�t prepare any worksheets, my laptop doesn�t have any of my templates and I�m not used to its keyboard � didn�t want to try either. I used the time resting, blogging and hanging around. And getting some �sort of� life, of course.

I�m preparing a project with some worksheets and videos on the use of the internet (mainly adolescents) and would like to know about the time they spend on it, what kind of sites they visit, where they use to chat, what videos are the most popular. I�d like to present my students a bird�s eye on the use of computers and internet around the world, so I thank the ones who would spend some of their time sending me a PM or posting a response here with some clues.

Thanks in advance!

Zailda

29 Feb 2012      

anitarobi
Croatia

Dear Zailda, good to see you back. The use of internet in my country among adolescents? I �m afraid to even ask.... No, just kidding - they live on facebook, twitter and msn, google only some stuff they really have to for school and only when told to (amazing how many of them claim not to have a dictionary at home, but live on the internet 24/7)... I guess they download a lot and play games more than they should. Other than that, rare are those who use it for anything else, at least such is my experience. Not that researchers don �t exist - they �re just rare.

29 Feb 2012     

zailda
Brazil

Hi Anita! Good to see you too and thanks for the quick response.

Do you think they are likely to engaging in some sort of activity related to English learning / practice online? In Brazil they spend almost all of the free time they have on the internet but my colleagues complain the students refuse to do online exercises, take part in wikis, read blogs or post videos / photos related to school projects. Do you have the same experience with yours?

29 Feb 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hi, Zailda,
I can �t speak for all the ss in Ukraine, but I can give you an insight about my ss. Most of them use the time they spend online on online video games (they can do this for hours) an social networks: Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki, mailru (Russian sites), FaceBook, Twitter. I tried the OEs with them - didn �t work, they figured out how to trick the system out of answers and cheated, but others didn �t even try. So, I really lost any enthusiasm I still had to engage them in some learning activity online:(
Sophia

29 Feb 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Zailda!

Let �s see.... I suppose Portuguese are not very different from all the others in the world! So they basically spend endless hours on msn, orkut, youtube, facebook and playing violent games....

Searching for anything interesting could be consider a rare case .... but they are experts on copy/past information from the web and feel as if they had actually done an essay or something similarDisapprove

29 Feb 2012     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Zailda

not much to add , ascincoquinas managed to say everything, short and though... that �s it. Unfortunately :-(((((((((

29 Feb 2012     

Pelletrine
France

Dear Zailda,
good to see you back ;o) Well, as Linda said, ascincoquinas said everything, short and well. BUT, I DO have some elements to add, if you don �t mind.

I teach 11-15/16 years old (6th-9th grade). FACEBOOK is it!!! Youtube comes second.
- then, it varies: games online/chat.... but: work/homework: they want it to be just as easy... well, I DO have some exceptions: �good students � will always be so (but, they don �t need us much, do they?: THEY will look up whatever you ask, and come up with good answers, using wikipedia very well.
OE worked great for my little ones last year (11-12 years old): but from 13

1 Mar 2012     

Pelletrine
France

and upwards: they just don �t seem to be able to �bother �.
I �ve had some terrible �essays �, pupils using translators online!!!!! - AND they are very hard on admitting using one ;o))))
- I am pondering on some work with them, asking them to use a translator online: to make themeunderstand, all they have to know.... before using it.

WELL: my deepest thought of this is that we might need some deeper understanding: why not ask them directly, maybe through worksheets. I think we can help our pupils use internet better, if we are able to show them the way ;o))
- sorry, the first bit got �cut � by a bad movement on my keyboard!!! (see: it isn �t that easy to tame)  ;o)) HUGS

1 Mar 2012     

zailda
Brazil

Thanks for the responses till now, have someone had any ideas that can work making students engage in doing OE or other sorts of educational use of the internet? 

I �m thinking of preparing some flash games to be played online or downloaded to mobile phones, have already started struggling with the software.

Homework is another pain in the neck because they do only the easier parts and copy the others from the �good students�. What about some interviews, videos or pictures, posters or PowerPoint files to be prepared as homework? I mean, something they couldn�t do in class.

Or � maybe � some debates at Twitter or Facebook pages could motivate them to participate.

Any suggestions?

1 Mar 2012