Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > ADVERTS / COMMERCIALS as a source of English    

ADVERTS / COMMERCIALS as a source of English

ivanabu
Czech Republic

ADVERTS / COMMERCIALS as a source of English

I would like to ask my colleagues for some useful tips on easy-to-understand adverts / commercials in English that could be used on EFL lessons. I mean the ones that are easily accessible on Youtube. On our TV we often have adverts by foreigner coompanies that used English only and students like to use words and phrases from them. Thanks for your suggestions! Ivana.

6 Mar 2012      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Ivanabu!

I have used bith videos and ads to raise discussion in class about that topic.

You could use "blunder advertising", but you must choose the images carefully according to your ss age.

there are also many videos, such as this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yBmCNGFrkA

6 Mar 2012     

libertybelle
United States

My favorite commercial, which you can find on Youtube is:

Coca Cola Zero.

A young guy (the hero) comes in a store and meets his ex-girlfriend.
Her new boyfriend comes into the picture and he �s tall.
Here you can talk about camera angles.

The hero takes a drink of the coke - and along comes a hot babe! (his new girlfriend)
She �s very  cool because she �s tall, blond,sexy,  wears high-heels and- she �s hot because she speaks with a British accent.
Here you can talk about values, clothes, the music etc.

The British babe asks him if he wants whipped cream or chocolate sauce.  (sexual undertones)

Then the roof opens up and he and his new girl fly off into the night. (James Bond) (showing how much more exciting his life is now) Life as it should be. 
Here you can talk about slogans

You can talk about body language and much more!
Sorry if this isn �t what you were looking for - but it �s fun to analyze these commercials.

http://youtu.be/_BxDcn3Jw0c

6 Mar 2012     

ivanabu
Czech Republic

Thanks a lot, I am going to go through them. Have a nice day!

7 Mar 2012