Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What do good teachers of English generally do ?    

What do good teachers of English generally do ?

epit
Turkey

What do good teachers of English generally do ?

Hi everyone ,It is a late hour for my town, but it pulls on mind  and I �m asking .We have some differences about in our teaching way or  practising  sometimes, we believe that our success is based on them  like revising eveyday,planing the lessons till the everyminite or teaching a song make easier the learning or etc .What is your secret at  teaching  ?hope Ihad express myself in an effective way .Hugs 

14 Mar 2012      

starrr
Brazil

hELLO,

mY SECRET is to bring HUMOUR to the classrooms. When my students are laughing and having some fun they learn a lot and they even feel it!!

Bring to your students lots of funny images (those disgusting ones, ugly ones, shocking ones etc.)), comics, jokes, proverbs, charges, funny videos, songs, games , good dinamics that can involve all the classrrom and maintain their interest and participation, bringing some candies and chocolates to give to them as a prize for a very well done task can help too lol....etc...I am sure your students will see the English language with other eyes. You will see the difference and you will get their attention, motivation and interest to hear what you have to say...for my experience it works and make wonders in your English classes. Try it out!

Hope it is useful, just my 5 cents. ;-)

14 Mar 2012     

manonski (f)
Canada

I believe a good teacher teaches English in English! 

A good teacher is also capable to turn on a dime and adapt his/her teaching with current events. 

I always tell my university students that they have to stick to the curriculum, not a textbook. If they know the curriculum, they �ll be able to use most situations in life and turn them into a learning experience.

15 Mar 2012     

abaza
Qatar

I think that the key is that the teacher has to believe on his role positively which is supported by knowledge and experience then such attitude is going to be transmitted unconsciously to students.

The good teaching is based on the quality of teaching
Thanks and good luck

15 Mar 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Here is a link that might be useful to you:

http://busyteacher.org/3651-becoming-a-teacher.html

15 Mar 2012     

douglas
United States

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=2976&page=1

15 Mar 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

In short, there �s no "one-size-fits-all" answer. Some important things to keep in mind:

patience (NO substitute! It always seems to take longer than you think it should.)
organization (know what you want to teach)
flexibility (know when to throw the plan out the window)
humor (laughter is always nice)
discipline (keep the students focused on learning)
interesting and useful topics (targeted to your students, of course)
your own unique talents (playing a musical instrument, drawing, computer design, etc.).

A lot of your approach will also depend on your students � background and age. Coloring lessons work well for small children, but are condescending for my adult students. My adult students are very interested in pay stubs and tax forms (especially with only a month until tax day), but most teenagers would be bored out of their minds.

You can teach English! The confidence will come.

15 Mar 2012