Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What do AM and PM stand for?    

What do AM and PM stand for?

Ide_Bere
Mexico

What do AM and PM stand for?

Hi, I have this student who actually asked me this. I told him that I was going to look for it since I haven �t thought of this before. I know in Spanish, AM stands for "antes meridiano" and PM "pasado meridiano" but I cannot make sense of this in English, since it should be according to the Spanish parameters BM "before meridian" and PM "post meridian".
I �d appreciate your help with this.

Thanks a lot.

Bere

5 Apr 2012      

agagug
Canada

Hi there,

A.M. = Ante Meridian
P.M. = Post Meridian

5 Apr 2012     

neusfalco
Spain

Yes AM is ante meridian which means before midday in Latin and PM is post Meridian which means after midday

5 Apr 2012     

marcella8161
Italy

It is the latin version of what you wrote.  AM=Ante Meridian (Before Noon)  and PM=Post Meridian (After Noon). It is used when you tell the time. Since in English they generally use the 12 hours and not the 24 hours, it is specified if the, let �s say, 8 o �clock are in the morning (AM) or in the evening (PM)
This must not be confused with "Anti-Meridian" which is the 180th Meridian, East or West of the Prime Meridian, passing through the Royal Observatory of Greenwich. 

5 Apr 2012     

memthefirst
Turkey

I call them "am : after midnight"   and "pm : pre-midnight"  so kids can remember more easily.

5 Apr 2012     

Ide_Bere
Mexico

Thank you so much. Now, I can answer to my student.

Bere

5 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Dear Bere, 
here �s a very nice free online dictionary which is an excellent reference when it comes to such matters, as the explanations there are very clear and simple: http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/
Sophia

5 Apr 2012     

yanogator
United States

According to the link Sophia provided, and as I �ve always understood it, they are
ante meridiem and post meridiem in Latin.

Bruce

5 Apr 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

AM = A.M. = a.m. = am = Ante Meridiem = before midday/noon in Latin
PM = A.M. = p.m. = pm = Post Meridiem = after midday/noon in Latin

"am : after midnight"   and "pm : pre-midnight / past-midday"  sounds like a wonderful mnemotechnic hint, thanks Memthefirst!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock

PS: meridiem=noon=midday x x x  meridian of longitude (maps)

5 Apr 2012     

Redbull
Thailand

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

5 Apr 2012