Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help needed with prepositions    

Help needed with prepositions

Urpi
Peru

Help needed with prepositions

Happy Easter to you all:

I need  some guidence please:
I came across two excersises in which I cannot be sure why the answers are like shown:

-There is a point ______ which everybody will understand.

in my opinion it should be IN but in the answer key is AT.

- Lisa was ___________ the point of leaving the house when you called.

Now in this sentence I think the right answer shoul be AT, but I was wrong the right answer is ON in the answer key.

Why? It doesn �t sound good to me. Does this have to do with American and British English? By the way the book is British.

Thanks.

5 Apr 2012      

Redbull
Thailand

Hi Urpi,

Yes you could be right about the sentences being American and British English.

EXAMPLE HERE:

Katy & I usually visit the cinema/movie theatre/movie theater to watch a film/movie  �at weekends � or `on weekends �.Which is correct?

"at weekends" is BE and "on weekends" is AE. Both are correct, just depends on your audience or which you usually use or how you have been educated.

ALSO HERE:

in the office� AE where as the BE might say �at the office�.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

5 Apr 2012     

PhilipR
Thailand

Nothing wrong with your answer key IMO. Both sentences sound okay to me (and your suggestions don �t).

Sentence 1: Compare the point to a road marker; when you arrive at that point, you �ll understand.

Sentence 2: to be on the point of = to be about to, to be on the verge of

5 Apr 2012     

suhakhader
Jordan

Hello Urpi,

This is what I found about at/on the point of... They look very similar with a slight difference. Have a look at this link  http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/point

Have a nice day:-)

Suha

6 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

This is what the dictionary has  http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/point

a particular time or stage of developmentThe climber was at/on the point of death when they found him.We were on the point of giving up.Many people suffer from mental illness at some point in their lives.We had reached the point when there was no money left.At this point in time we just have to wait.At this point I don �t care what you decide to do.
Sophia

6 Apr 2012