Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Dangerously confused?    

Dangerously confused?

sirhaj
Malaysia

Dangerously confused?

Hello Buddies,

I am currently training the school children for a debate competition and one of the motions is:

Extra-curricular excellence at the expense of academic achievement

What does it mean? in terms of debate �s point of view.

does it mean that academic is at risk when we prioritize extra-curricular activities, hence, if we are the affirmative team ( government, supporting the motion), we agree that academic achievement is at danger because of all the negative impacts of focusing too much on extra-curricular excellence. Hence, we talk about bad things about extra-curricular activities and the importance of academic achievement

Or

does it mean it is ok to pursue extra-curricular excellence if we have to sacrifice academic achievement for some solid reasons. Hence, we talk about extra-curricular excellence in terms of its benefits against academic achievement.

I am confused, this is debate, it is important to be clear of the motion and the direction we should take when we are affirmative or opposition. We, teachers, are arguing about this. Please help me and pray that my school will win the state level.

Regards,
Sirhajwan

9 Apr 2012      

PhilipR
Thailand

To me it means that some schools are putting too much time and energy in preparing a stellar sports day parade (or some other dog-and-pony show) instead of focusing on core subjects which are actually important. 

Sacrificing valuable classroom time for these frivolous activities could undermine students � grasp of key subjects such as Maths or Science.

9 Apr 2012