Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Present Continuous & Present Progressive    

Present Continuous & Present Progressive

Anna P
Brazil

Present Continuous & Present Progressive

Is there a difference between Present Continuous and Present Progressive?  For me they are the same except that one is American and the other is British English. However, one of my students told me that her classroom teacher (I �m a tutor) said that there is a difference between the two forms.  Her school workbook has exercises under the name Present Continuous and other sets of exercises under Present Progressive, but it offers no explanation. 
Do you know anything about this?
Heart   Thanks

12 Apr 2012      

coyote.chus
Spain

For me, they are exactly the same.

12 Apr 2012     

domgirl
Dominican Republic

Hi, Anna P

I agree with you. There�s no difference. They�re just two names for the same verb tense.

12 Apr 2012     

CARYELY
Spain

Dear friend,
There is a difference, when you talk about routines, habits then you have to use present simple, you repeat them every day and when you talk about temporary actions ( happening now or for a few days o months...) then it is continuous.  Present simple: I go to school every day
Present continuous: He is having a bath now

12 Apr 2012     

yanogator
United States

Caryely, the question was about "present continuous" and "present progressive", not "present simple".

I agree with the others, that they are two names for the same tense. Look at the workbook and see if the exercises show any difference. They shouldn �t.

Bruce

12 Apr 2012     

Anna P
Brazil

Dear Caryely, I �m asking about Present Continuous and Present Progressive - not Simple and Continuous.  But thanks for taking the trouble to answer.

Thanks Coyote and Domgirl.  Let �s see if we get other opinions. I �ve been checking the web and, so far, I confirmed that " English makes no distinction between continuous and progressive"

Hug Anna 
EDITED - I was waiting for you, Bruce, my online English teacher!  We posted at the same time. The exercises didn�t seem different but I�ll double check next time I work with that student.  Thanks.

12 Apr 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

These are just different terms for the same tense - also past continuous/ past progressive. My understanding is that �progressive � is the American term and in Britain, we say �continuous. �

12 Apr 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Anna P,

There is no difference between the �Present Continuous � and the �Present Progressive �.

As others have written, they are different names for the same thing. 

"A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language", 2010, page 197, written by R. Quirk and 4 other English Professors, says:

"The PROGRESSIVE ASPECT (also sometimes called the DURATIVE or CONTINUOUS ASPECT) indicates a happening in PROGRESS at a given time".

Les 

12 Apr 2012     

CARYELY
Spain

I beg your pardon� 
I definitely agree with all of you. I�ve just realized I haven�t paid attention to the question.
Thanks for the correction.

12 Apr 2012     

Anna P
Brazil

Thanks so much, caryely. coyote.chus, domgirl, cunliffe, Bruce and Les. 

Anna

12 Apr 2012