Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > question tag     

question tag

KHAWLA ALZIOD
Jordan

question tag

Hello everyone ,
I would be grateful if any one helped me in completing the following sentences with suitable question tags .

1.You might leave early,--------------------------?
2.Jason may use his mobile phone at class ,----------------------------?
3.I don �t think that the man was accused of the theft wrongly,--------------------------?

According to the last one there are two suggested answers ,but I want to check the correct answer.Is it      do I?            OR    wasn �t he ?  
thanks .

16 Apr 2012      

yanogator
United States

I would say "was he" for the third one, not either of the choices you gave. For the first one, I think the British would say "mightn �t you" (Don �t take my word for it, though), but that wouldn �t be very common in the US. Also, in the US, we would avoid the second one altogether as far as a tag question is concerned.

Bruce

16 Apr 2012     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi

First and second sentences seem very weird to me, I wouldn �t use , here, a grammar tag, I would, rather, deliberately, avoid such a question -tag, which, my opinion, would be, in grammar rules , like this:

1.You might leave early,mightn �t you ? ( sounds horrible )
2.Jason may use his mobile phone at class ,may not he ? ( more horrible, if possible )

Third one: 

3.I don �t think that the man was accused of the theft wrongly,????????

The third rises a question: what is a question-tag? A tag, where you try to get some agreement, ( or not ) from the the person you are speaking to. So I would go for a more  strict grammar tag, which sounds to me more natural, I would say:

3.I don �t think that the man was accused of the theft wrongly, do you ?

I must say I am not a native, so, it is worth what it is. Let �s wait for our native experts and see what they really speak.

Linda

16 Apr 2012     

Apodo
Australia

This is how I would make tag questions:

1.You might leave early, mightn �t you?
2.Jason may use his mobile phone in class may he not?  (formal)
2. Jason can use his mobile phone in class, can �t he?
3.I don �t think that the man was accused of the theft wrongly, was he?

16 Apr 2012     

CyrillicAlphabet
Bulgaria

1. You might leave early, can�t you?
In the sentence You might leave early the modal verb might means a possibility, i.e. perhaps you will leave early.

2. Jason may use his mobile phone in class, can�t he?
The modal verb may expresses the possibility that Jason will use (future) or is using (present) his mobile phone in class.

3. I don�t think that the man was accused of the theft wrongly, wasn�t he?
In this case the tag is linked to the embedded sentence, i.e. the man was accused of the theft wrongly. For this reason the tag is negative.

3. I don�t think that the man was accused of the theft wrongly, do you?
Here the tag is seeking the opinion of the person whom I am addressing. For this reason the tag is positive. The opposite of I don�t think is I think. As I know what I think, I am asking you a question to find out what you think about this matter.

Initially there were two sentences:
1) I don�t think that the man was accused of the theft wrongly.
2) Do you think that the man was accused of the theft wrongly?
Next, we put them together and the result sentence is:
I don�t think that the man was accused of the theft wrongly, do you?

In fact, Linda and I share one and the same opinion about the third sentence.

Best wishes,
Cyrillic Alphabet

17 Apr 2012     

yanogator
United States

I would never use "can �t you" in the first one or "wasn �t he" in the third one.

Bruce

17 Apr 2012